1992 frankenberetta

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
themixer

1992 frankenberetta

Post by themixer »

So a bit of an oddball unsupported crazy setup.

1992 Beretta Auto

Engine:
1998 Grand AM 3100
Trans:
1992 2.2 3 speed 2.2 four cylinder.
Tune:
WOT Tech Ben

Went down to help a buddy work on this car on the weekend, clean up and check the wiring extensions. Install a 3 wire temp sensor the usual 3x00 swap things. Checked all sensors with a tech 1, all seem to be within spec.

Problem occurs when the ECU goes to closed loop, it comes to a code 42. Starts stumbling and stalling. We have checked all the wiring to the ICM back to the ECU all seems to be in working order. Tried new ICM coils and ECU.

Have done the usual google searching also have the factory service manual for the 1992 year and preformed all troubleshooting. All seems to come back fine.

Here is a little write up on code 42
http://www.fieros.de/en/v6help/code42.html

Anyone ever troubleshoot this? I feel like its coming back on the tune, but we have nothing else that will run the car other than the chip from WOT Tech. In open loop the car seems fantastic, even drives nicely. Normal 3.1 multiport tune the car doesn't run correctly, and with a 3400 chip it wont even start.

SuperLbody

Re: 1992 frankenberetta

Post by SuperLbody »

I'd double check the wiring again to make sure you got the connections right. Also check the spark control module to make sure its functioning correctly.

themixer

Post by themixer »

Yes I am half tempted to run all new wiring to the ICM just to be sure but we did double check this all and it seemed good.

It's all rather annoying, it would be nice to do a swap without some sort of oddball issue

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I would seek out another chip before rewiring anything seeing how it is a custom tune and responds differently once in closed loop.

Might save you a lot of time, Canadian swear words, and of course beer...

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
themixer

Post by themixer »

I think its almost time for me to get the tuning equipment for these obd 1 cars

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

The chip you got from Ben... Was it a stock chip that had been erased via UV and then re-flashed? I think I'll be going realtime moates adapter for the Indy when the time comes.

I'll probably get this sucker...

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
themixer

Post by themixer »

It is a moates adapter runs inside the ecu, thats the kit that I need !

Stencil
Administrator

Post by Stencil »

FYI I put a 3500 in a 88 GT recently with a digital dash. We used Ben @ WOT Tech for the chip and upon startup the engine was VERY hard to keep running. It stumbled and you had to give to throttle all the time to make it stay going. After troubleshooting for an hour or so and double checking everything, we put the stock 88 GT chip back in and it started and ran perfect with no problems. I believe we just got a corrupted burn (my friend has been dealing with WOT on it, so I'm out of the loop) but just wanted to let you know that bad chips happen and I'd try your stock one first. It won't be ideal for power, but it should start and run the motor with no issues.

-Aaron
'92 Beretta GTZ 2.3L 5M - Undergoing "unibody off" restoration ATM (almost done!)
'93 Beretta GT "MISEREE" 3.1 5M
'95 Beretta Base DGGM 2.2 5M
'96 Beretta "FAUXZ26" 2.2 5M
themixer

Post by themixer »

Really? I seem to have some inconsistent results with these cars. Stock tune i cannot get the 3100 to run, 3400 tune will not work either. My 3400 would not run on the stock tune either. Again feeling like I don't know anything about these cars it seems.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

What injectors did you have in these setups that would not run? if they are much larger than the 3.1 16lb ones then yes that will give it a VERY hard start condition that would necessitate a good amount of correction to idle. But if they are close then it should idle. ok.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
themixer

Post by themixer »

Injectors are the stock 3100 it wouldn't idle at all with stock tune, using the tune from Ben allowed it to run smoothly until closed loop

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Stencil wrote:We used Ben @ WOT Tech for the chip and upon startup the engine was VERY hard to keep running. It stumbled and you had to give to throttle all the time to make it stay going. .
Same result I had with a swap. Customer went and had it tuned by a different mail-ordered tuner. Works, a little fat, but it ran fine.

_________
-------------
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

themixer wrote: We have checked all the wiring to the ICM back to the ECU all seems to be in working order. Tried new ICM coils and ECU.

Have done the usual google searching also have the factory service manual for the 1992 year and preformed all troubleshooting. All seems to come back fine.
Do you have a V6 Beretta's ICM to crank sensor wiring harness? Swap that if you do.

_________
-------------
themixer

Post by themixer »

The crank sensor is connected directly to the ICM, the 3100 CPS wire fits fine. Same setup on my 3400.

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

I've had at least a couple different variations with how the insulation and "twists" for that harness. Messes with signal in some cases to the ECM.

_________
-------------