stall8ng..not starting

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
blacklightn

stall8ng..not starting

Post by blacklightn »

Ok here it is I have a 95 base beretta and outta nowhere it stalls on me. It has been running fine even that day. Once I tried to crank it back up there was a horrible knock sounds from engine. I have been trying to get it to run but within seconds it stalls sometimes with a knock. The battery is 2 years old and I have plenty of gas in the tank and I can here fuel pump kick on..I also am getting fuel pressure. I have no idea what's going on with it..anyone have this problem or any idea what to check please let me know. Like I said this issue came out of nowhere it has been running perfect. Also I did drain oil just to see if there was any metal shaving and nothing was in oil.

SuperLbody

Re: stall8ng..not starting

Post by SuperLbody »

I'd say check the Crank Positon Sensor. That would cause a random stall. If that checks out start with the basics, compression spark and fuel.

ifixalot

Post by ifixalot »

V6?
Bad MAF sensor or plug?
Any codes?
I just had a problem with a bad MAF sensor plug.
It caused some random hesitations and then caused my engine to die as a turned a corner.
It might cause a lean condition which might cause a pre-ignition knock as the engine dies.
If you spray some starting fluid in the throttle body, will it start? That would eliminate crank sensor.
I like to squirt some gas in the engine. Some would disagree, saying that is too dangerous.
I've never liked and I don't even know, if you can get starting fluid anymore.
I have a little 4oz metal can from Sta-Bil that I keep full of gas.

blacklightn

Post by blacklightn »

It's a v6 with 3100. I never did try to pull a code. My dad thought it could be crankshaft but the knock was towing him off. We will try the crankshaft first. Hopefully that's what it is. I hope I don't need a new engine.

ifixalot

Post by ifixalot »

I had one other thought, with mention of knocking in the motor, I thought I might have heard about on some 3.1/3100
engines the camshaft broke in half causing half the engine not to function. Maybe pistons hitting open valves?

blacklightn

Post by blacklightn »

Ok I changed the crankshaft censor and it's still not starting. We made sure it had fuel pressure(which was at right psi). After we changed the crankshaft censor tried starting it and it wouldn't start but could smell gas like if it was flooded. I'm at a loss with this car any other ideas that I can look into.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Pull the front valve cover off and have someone crank the motor... Make sure ALL the rockers move at some point. This could point to a broken camshaft if some do not move... Ones closer to the drivers side will probably be the ones that stay stationary if there is an issue.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

When cranking, does the oil pressure raise or does it stay limpat zero?

_________
-------------
blacklightn

Post by blacklightn »

It's not moving it will crank over then shut off. I have the dummy lights in it.

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

With the vehicle raised in the front only, spin off the oil filter letting residual oil abate. Leaving oil filter off and fuel system disabled (pull pump fuse or injector fuse) , crank engine, Oil not spewing out rapidly while cranking is not a good sign and now would suspect the cam is snapped.

_________
-------------
SuperLbody

Post by SuperLbody »

Was the low oil level light lit at all? If not check for codes man. That will help narrow it down. If there's no codes than check your spark and compression.

blacklightn

Post by blacklightn »

I haven't check any codes I don't a code checker for my car..some reason the auto stores by us don't have it for my car.

blacklightn

Post by blacklightn »

The oil light was on but it was never low something wrong with the censor. I do have spark too.

Asylum

Post by Asylum »

I don't know if the paperclip works on OBD 1.5 or not.

Did you actually check for rocker arm movement yet?

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

where are you located?

_________
-------------