I see smoke coming out under dashboard and hazard switch

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
Dwnld

I see smoke coming out under dashboard and hazard switch

Post by Dwnld »

As the title says, smoke. It smells like electrical burn and it comes especially when I use the turn signals. Also seems like sometimes my turn signals are left continuously (meaning they wont do the flashing part) after using them, but it gets fix'd when I use them again.

The smoke was really bad and thick only once, while I was driving straight road. Unlike usual smoke moments, it was without turn signals. After that time, it have been less worse.

What I already did is that I removed both panels under the dashboard, and I didn't see any burning stuff in there. Then I removed steering wheel and all that stuff under it for the actual turn signal switch inside the steering column, and again nothing looks burned up or melted. I even removed the ignition switch cylinder, and that plastic thingy (which holds the overall steering column cover in place) behind it but it didn't really expose anything new. Just shiny metal inside.

All wires that I have seen so far are still in perfect condition.

So is there any other places I should look from, or tear it down even more? I tried to look under the dashboard without panels while turn signal was on, but obviously it didn't give the smoke at that time. When I didn't look under there, it gave the smoke. -.- (I had a friend looking at the usual spot).

I will try again later the same thing if no one can point be to another direction.

1988GTU

Re: I see smoke coming out under dashboard and hazard switch

Post by 1988GTU »

Remove the old lith grease and apply new to the contacts for the multifunctional switch. Also for the stalk and ignition contacts as well.

_________
-------------
ifixalot

Post by ifixalot »

Are all bulbs good? Not flashing is a sign of a burned out bulb. Bulb filaments can reconnect and work again for awhile.
And/or Maybe the flasher is bad? and since it doesn't flash, maybe it over heats?

Dwnld

Post by Dwnld »

Every bulb is fine and the flasher works when I use it. I'll try to clean up the grease and get new from somewhere. It's not a bad idea because some of it was surely removed when I got highly greasy fingers.

Dwnld

Post by Dwnld »

1988GTU wrote:Remove the old lith grease and apply new to the contacts for the multifunctional switch. Also for the stalk and ignition contacts as well.
It's just normal lithium grease, right? Can I just lubricate all moving parts (the ones that were greasy before cleaning) in there or should I use it only on contacts?

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

electrical white lith grease.

_________
-------------