95 OBD help

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
s4of12

95 OBD help

Post by s4of12 »

I have a 95 Beretta that I am doing an extensive rebuild on. I had the engine rebuilt and stripped the car and had it painted. I am in the process of putting the puzzle back together. The engine, harness, and dash are back in and I am trying to start it. I am getting spark but can't get her to fire. Fuel pressure is good.

I want to get into the diagnostics to see what the PCM is saying, but as this is a 95 I am having difficulties. I made an ALDL cable and hooked it to my laptop. I just am not sure what software/definitions to use. EFIlive 4 gets data, but I can't find a good definition file. TunerPro tests my cable ok, but I can't seem to get any data.

Any help would be appreciated. I am totally lost here.

s4of12

Re: 95 OBD help

Post by s4of12 »

I got it figured out. A couple years back I made a USB ALDL cable for the car, but didn't have any luck getting communication with the PCM to work. I put it on the shelf and forgot about it.

When I put the car back together and it wouldn't start I broke it out to give it another try. This thread helped a great deal. I downloaded TunerPro RT, and I got the ads file from here.

A little fiddling with the definition file to get good data out of the PCM, combined with the factory service manual, and I figured out my no fire issue. Circuit 430 on the ignition module had a pushed pin in the connector so the PCM wasn't seeing RPM. Fixed the pin and my rebuilt motor fired right up.

Now I can read DTCs, and get live data. The engine RPM values are way off, so I need to figure that out, but it works great. I won't be changing the tune any, I just need to return this 270,000 mile car back as close to factory as I can for my wife. Got the car when she was 16, and she is very attached to it.