Low oil level light on, oil level is fine.

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
Cam2363

Low oil level light on, oil level is fine.

Post by Cam2363 »

When I start my 96 Z26, sometimes the Low oil level light comes on and stays on, but when I check the oil its full. When I shut the car off and restart it, its off, and it only seems to come back on after starting the car after sitting for a while. My driveway isn't the levelest thing in the world, but it's not like imparking it on a hill.

So is it a bad sensor? or just a false reading? I'm getting the oil changed in a week, so it would be interesting to see what happens after it's changed.

Rettax3

Re: Low oil level light on, oil level is fine.

Post by Rettax3 »

Sounds like a bad or dirty sensor to me... Maybe have a new one put in while the oil is out anyway... Or, just see have it does after the oil change, and if you still have problems with it plan on having the sensor for the next oil change.

Rock Auto =~$12 plus shipping.

Some of the cars run the sensor through the ECM, but some actually run right to the cluster (my '95 is direct to the cluster, but was never equipped with the sensor, the wiring and provisions are all there though. Not sure on the '96 -they mostly ran everything through the PCM, as they were OBD2), either way it isn't likely to have a problem there (though could happen).

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
Cam2363

Re: Low oil level light on, oil level is fine.

Post by Cam2363 »

Rettax3 wrote:Sounds like a bad or dirty sensor to me... Maybe have a new one put in while the oil is out anyway... Or, just see have it does after the oil change, and if you still have problems with it plan on having the sensor for the next oil change.

Rock Auto =~$12 plus shipping.

Some of the cars run the sensor through the ECM, but some actually run right to the cluster (my '95 is direct to the cluster, but was never equipped with the sensor, the wiring and provisions are all there though. Not sure on the '96 -they mostly ran everything through the PCM, as they were OBD2), either way it isn't likely to have a problem there (though could happen).
Thanks! ill check it out then!