Coolant leak, but dont know where

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
Cam2363

Coolant leak, but dont know where

Post by Cam2363 »

I have a 96 z26 with the 3100

I have a coolant leak, all I know is that it comes from the bottom of the frame right next to the front of the passenger side wheel, somewhere around the middle of the engine on the left side. I see no leak around the water pump and the lower rad hose, but it is in front of all these parts anyways, so I'm not sure. And when looking around the back and front and side, I saw no sign of liquid. Everything was bone dry.

Does anyone know where to look? It is not a huge leak, but still something I would like taken care of asap.

TIA!

Nicjensen

Re: Coolant leak, but dont know where

Post by Nicjensen »

Sounds like the lower intake gasket. Look where it meets the engine block between the heads.

1995 Beretta Z26
1996 Beretta Z26 ( convertible project)
1990 INDY with 17,802 miles

Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

Nicjensen wrote:Sounds like the lower intake gasket. Look where it meets the engine block between the heads.

1995 Beretta Z26
1996 Beretta Z26 ( convertible project)
1990 INDY with 17,802 miles
Thats what I was afraid of. I planned to do it, but not this soon. I sure hope it is not the problem.

Edit: Went out and checked, and they seemed fine. It looked a little bit damp below them, but I think with the amount that dripped onto my floor, it would have been more noticeable.

Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

I do believe that is where it is from. The leak lines up with the rear left side gasket. Is this something I should worry about right now or could it wait 2 months?

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Cam2363 wrote:I do believe that is where it is from. The leak lines up with the rear left side gasket. Is this something I should worry about right now or could it wait 2 months?
The real concern on the LIMG leaks is not when it ends up on your floor. The issue is that it can leak the other way, and go right into the engine's lifter valley and into the oil-pan. Then your bearings get wiped-out, and you are looking at buying a crank-kit or a new engine. If the coolant is leaking steadily outward to the ground, if you can keep on top of it so the engine doesn't get overheated, it may just keep leaking to the outside -it had an honest 50/50 chance to go that direction. You really shouldn't risk it, but if you decide to, make sure you check your engine oil before each start-up, if you can, just to make sure no coolant is getting into it. I would recommend going to an auto-parts store and using their loan-out coolant pressure tester. There should be an adapter for your coolant expansion tank, and you should be able to pump it up and find the leak -you may want th car safely jacked-up so you can get underneath it. If you suspect the LIMGs, don't exceed 10-13 psi on the tester (it is a hand-pump with a gauge, simple device), as you don't want to blow them out worse.

You may find it isn't the LIMG at all, and may be something that can wait or is an easy fix now. Worth a few hours inspection time. Remember, some coolant leaks only present when the engine is cold, more often they only show when it is hot, but usually a leak just leaks. I've even seen a water-pump that only leaked when the engine was running.

Just remember what you are risking, continuing to drive it with a possible LIMG failure... How much does a rental car cost for a couple of months? %) Ha!

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

Rettax3 wrote:
Cam2363 wrote:I do believe that is where it is from. The leak lines up with the rear left side gasket. Is this something I should worry about right now or could it wait 2 months?
The real concern on the LIMG leaks is not when it ends up on your floor. The issue is that it can leak the other way, and go right into the engine's lifter valley and into the oil-pan. Then your bearings get wiped-out, and you are looking at buying a crank-kit or a new engine. If the coolant is leaking steadily outward to the ground, if you can keep on top of it so the engine doesn't get overheated, it may just keep leaking to the outside -it had an honest 50/50 chance to go that direction. You really shouldn't risk it, but if you decide to, make sure you check your engine oil before each start-up, if you can, just to make sure no coolant is getting into it. I would recommend going to an auto-parts store and using their loan-out coolant pressure tester. There should be an adapter for your coolant expansion tank, and you should be able to pump it up and find the leak -you may want th car safely jacked-up so you can get underneath it. If you suspect the LIMGs, don't exceed 10-13 psi on the tester (it is a hand-pump with a gauge, simple device), as you don't want to blow them out worse.

You may find it isn't the LIMG at all, and may be something that can wait or is an easy fix now. Worth a few hours inspection time. Remember, some coolant leaks only present when the engine is cold, more often they only show when it is hot, but usually a leak just leaks. I've even seen a water-pump that only leaked when the engine was running.

Just remember what you are risking, continuing to drive it with a possible LIMG failure... How much does a rental car cost for a couple of months? %) Ha!
Thanks for the advice. I dont have much time, So im going to put it off until the beginning of march when I will have time, which also will give me time to get my parts in. I checked my oil, and besides it needing to be changed, no coolant or any sign of water showed on the stick. My parents do have another viehicle I can drive if something were to happen, so thats not the issue. But I think im just going to take the risk and monitor everything. Thanks for the advice!