Draining battery, fuse 11

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...

Post by Guest »

Good Day:

Battery on the 1994 Beretta has been draining slowly for some time now. I have a drain measured at 2.6 amps. Removing Fuse 11 stops the draining of the battery, hence, the short is on a system that is fused by fuse #11.

Fuse #11 is responsible for the following:

1) courtesy lamps
2) Clock
3) Radio/Cd player
4) ABS
5) Audible warning system
6) passive belts

For the lamps, I figure I can just remove the bulbs and check if they are the culprit

For the radio and clock...hmm..I guess I can find the power feed to them and disconnect and see if that solves the drain.....any advice on how to do that?

ABS? haven't a clue how to disable it electrically...

However, the biggest clue I have right now is: WHen I pull the negative cable from the battery,  and then replace it, i hear a clicking noise in the car's drivers' door. What could be making that noise? Is it something that is on fuse #11

Any help appreciated.

Oh, and how does one disable the audible warning system or the passive belts system to see if they are the culprits that are drianing my battery?

THanks in advance

Darren

gtuturbo

Post by gtuturbo »

The left door lock relay actuates to supply power from another circuit breaker to the door motor.
Check and see if disconnecting the door lock switch helps. Maybe the ground is after that point in the circuit.

Paul Keller
1988 Chevrolet Beretta GTU (turbocharged) (bought new in August 1988)
1966 Oldsmobile Cutlass Convertible
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT
2017 Kia Sorento V6 AWD
2017 GMC Acadia SLE-1
rweatherford

Post by rweatherford »

Some other items...  my book is for a 93 though!

Fuse #11 also supplys power to two unused terminals in the fuse panel (probably in line with it).  Has anyone used one for an aftermarket something?

The trunk light is also on that circuit.

Low Oil warning module.

Door lock switches.

It is very possible that these items are not on your list if you have a factory HELM manual for a 94.  If you are just using a Haynes or Chiltons manual you should not use it for detailed electrical diagnosis.  Take a trip down to your local GM dealership.  Ask nicely for Book 2 of the L-body service manual.

AFAIK the audible warning system will unplug from under the dash.  Just find the thing that makes the chiming noise.

The passive belts might not be as easy.  You may have to take the door apart.  There may also be a plug under the dash near the doors.

You can unplug the ABS system at the brake booster.  There is also an ECM and relay for it on the firewall.

Good luck.  Let me know if I can help.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

Post by Guest »

Thanks guys:

I'll take the door panel off this weekend and check the door lock and belt issues first. It seems most probable that the problem lies in that area.

Never removed the door panel on this car. Any hints?

Thanks

Darren

rweatherford

Post by rweatherford »

Don't pull too hard and always look for hidden screws.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)