89' 2.8 Won't Start, No Power

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
metalheadchic3

Post by metalheadchic3 »

Automatic, 192,000 miles but new engine has 33,000. Since putting in new engine in Jan. 07, car runs great - like new, no problems whatsoever. I come home for one minute, I go back outside and now it won't start. No dome light, no power to door locks, no click when I turn key - completely dead. After about a minute, dome light and stuff come back on (with an audible click) with full power (battery new last fall) but when I turn the key in the ignition panel lights flick on for a second and then - DEAD AGAIN. I checked the battery cable and they're tight and there's no corrosion at the terminals. Ignition switch? Some kind of relay?

Angie
sprint2thechecker

Post by sprint2thechecker »

Hey metal...

I had a SIMILAR problem... not exactly as yours, but similar. Here are links to what I had posted on this board, along with the BerettaStuff board. Maybe you can read through the info and suggestions I received from others and find something useful to help in the diagnosis.

This link is for my posts and replies received on THIS board:

http://www.beretta.net/board/ib3/ikonbo ... ;f=8;t=903

This link is for my posts and replies received at the BerettaStuff board:

http://www.bstuff.com/index.php?showtopic=49823&st=0

If you can't click on the links, try pasting them to your browser.

Good luck with your Beretta!

metalheadchic3

Post by metalheadchic3 »

Hey, thanks for replying. I had come across your entry on the message board here and my problem is a little different. Yours sounds like the starter. I'm going to go outside later with a couple screwdrivers and see if I can crawl under and jump it at the solenoid. If it doesn't start that way, I'll replace the solenoid. If it does start, then I think its the ignition switch. If anyone out there disagrees with me, please reply, cuz I really don't know what I'm doing!  

Angie
sprint2thechecker

Post by sprint2thechecker »

Metal...

You're absolutely correct... mine is the starter. I found this out after I tapped on the starter with a rubber mallet. After which, it started.

With your situation, and from what you've described, I personally doubt it's your stater/solenoid. The reason I say this is because you noted that you had no dome light or power to the locks. Even though you noted the battery was new last fall, that would still be the first thing I'd suspect. Your alternater may be bad and it may not have been charging your battery sufficiently. If it were me, I'd check the battery with a voltmeter to see if it's got around 12 or 12-1/2 volts, or take it out have it tested. Even before that, I'd try to jump-start the Beretta with another vehicle. If it does start when attempting to jump start it, it's likely the battery. and if it IS the battery, and the battery is that new, then I'd say your alternater isn't recharging your battery sufficiently, or something else is draining the heck out of the battery. If you do get it to start, I'd test the alternater, or take the alternater somewhere to get tested.

And if you're really not sure what you're doing (as you quoted), I wouldn't crawl under and just start crossing terminals with screwdrivers. You may "fry" something by doing so. You may even get a jolt yourself or get a fireworks show (sparks).

metalheadchic3

Post by metalheadchic3 »

Nah, can't be the battery because after I try to start it and everything goes dead (not slowly draining-ly dead, all of a sudden dead with a click), I wait a couple minutes, i hear another click, and then I've got dome light, power locks, etc.  Then I try the ignition again, and with a click everything goes dead again.  Its like there's a short somewhere.

Angie
metalheadchic3

Post by metalheadchic3 »

And when it clicks and I have power again, its FULL power - bright lights, dash lights, etc. Not like a drained battery at all.  I've got the Haynes and I know where to cross my screwdrivers, but I think I'll grab some rubber gloves too, just in case, lol.

Angie
piaras

Post by piaras »

Sounds like bad wires or dirty corroded wires. If there is any resistence to power flow the starter does not get enough to turn over the engine. Remember a starter can draw to same power as a 7 horse motor if the engine is a little tight or the starter is tired (ie needs bushings)

Had 88 Beretta GT since new, Updated to 93 brakes in 94, Reinforced front lower control arms, All poly bushings fr/rr,
Long tube headers in 1992, CAI setup from Honda CRX
docrodg

Post by docrodg »

The click is interesting... sounds like maybe a circuit breaker is kicking.  If the starter is drawing all the power it could cause the breakers to kick, and some cars use breakers for the power options but not the dome light.  Probably is the solenoid or starter motor has a short and the car just says "blah" to the loss.  Some of these model years are very sensitive to the voltage and shut down completely when it gets low (like the digital dash when your alternator goes out on I-5-that was fun...).  Try checking all the connections and then drop the starter and have it checked.  Parts stores do it for free.

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

docrodg is right, in my old V8 days we would tap the solenoid with a rod or hammer. I had a 83 Camaro that would not start 10 min after it was shut off. One hour later it would start because the solenoid had went back all the way and was no longer drawing off the battery. Also agree with the wires,it may be both.

keep'em flying!