Car is   Almost Broken

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...

Car is  Almost Broken

Post by Guest »

Hey whats up! I'm new to this web site so hello everyone.

I'm having a problem with my Beretta. Its a 1994 v6 3.1 with about 140k miles. I bought the car about 1 year ago and its run fine since except I noticed that the car was using a lot of gas, so i started looking around the engine a bit checking for vacuum leaks and so on. Thats when i checked the coil packs i chekcing them by while the car was runnnning i too each plug wire off to see if the tops of the packs had a spark. Well 2 packs did and 1 wasn't  doing anything, so then I proceeded with replacing the 1 coil pack.  Ok after i put it on i did the same thing except now there was a spark except for the 1 connector. Even on the new one it didn't spark but as you put the plug wire on you could hear the engine die down so i figure well mabye you jsut cant see the spark.  Well what i am getting at is if i out the old coil pack on and run it on 4 cylders all runs fine. When i replaced it im having a lot of  dying problems almost every stoplight i stop at my car dies and i have to start it back up, When i'm idleing it jumps up and down pretty good (it goes rough then smooth rough then smooth) when its in drive, when the car is in park the car idels really well.  I checked the spark plugs and all seems to be ok. The wires should be fine. When i'm driving it at certain rpm's, like when i'm going 55mph, the whole thing starts shaking like its going to fall apart, but if i go like 60 mph it smooths out. I went and got the fuel pump tested, and the place said it was a little weak but i talked to a few people and they said a few pump prob would not cause such a problem i've been driving the car for about 6 months since they tested the fuel pump. I figured if it was going out it would have went out by now.  I'm not sure what the problom may be and i dont have a bunch of money to throw into it.  How can i tell what's wrong?

Also somtimes it will backfire to die. I was driving down the road and the whole thing bogged down. I was practically flooring it and going about 35 mph; speed wouldn't increase.  That happended for about 2 min, then the car died while approaching a stoplight.  I started it back up and the speed was noraml agin.  Is there a way to set the timing on a ECM car? I was told it was controlled by the computer and you couldn't set it.  Anyone have any idea on what could be wrong? Is it the fuel pump?

~Edited for readability

GroVe91

Car is  Almost Broken

Post by GroVe91 »

Happened to me before, I replaced plugs, wires and coils, it was fine after that.

That is some of the worst spelling I have ever seen by the way...

Jeff

1992 Beretta -- Base -- all stock
~ 225 xxx km on car
~ 185 xxx km on engine
~ 10,xxx km on rebuilt tranny
gtuturbo

Car is  Almost Broken

Post by gtuturbo »

(willigogo @ Nov. 09 2005,06:27)Q
U
O
T
EWhen i'm driving it at certain rpm's, like when i'm going 55mph, the whole thing starts shaking like its going to fall apart, but if i go like 60 mph it smooths out.
I'm pretty sure that problem is related to a balance,suspension, or bearing problem. Especially since it happens at that VERY common highway speed.

You should get it all checked out.  

Paul Keller
1988 Chevrolet Beretta GTU (turbocharged) (bought new in August 1988)
1966 Oldsmobile Cutlass Convertible
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT
2017 Kia Sorento V6 AWD
2017 GMC Acadia SLE-1