rought idle and no power

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
brilamb2

rought idle and no power

Post by brilamb2 »

chain drive no belt, but really leanig toward lifter. did an oil change yesterday and used a little thicker oil, leveled out a little.  Still not rightt though.  smooth running under normal ctruising, but misses under any load. Still thinking about ign mod, and coils.  just dont have the time or money to try all posibilities

rought idle and no power

Post by Guest »

lol yeah I know it's a chain---i may call it a belt or a chain ,depending on how it comes out of my brain at the time.
 the chain or it's gear set can either one mess up though and when it does it can also take out a lifter if you get real unlucky.
 A timing chain or gear set will cause a tremendous power loss--or it can stop you cold.I am not saying it is your problem--but it is a possibility.
I had one go south on me once and the car ran ok on a level stretch and light acceleration but would bog down to nothing on a hill,and would miss trying to accelerate beyond anything more than a light touch.
  Good luck on figuring out what it is. A lifter is also a strong possibilty.

1988GTU

rought idle and no power

Post by 1988GTU »

When a chain jumps a tooth, it will most likely run like crap all the time.  If the chain stretches too much it will most likely retard timing under throttle causing problems...  Then eventually it'll probably jump teeth making an all time problem, if not kill the engine.

_________
-------------
rweatherford

rought idle and no power

Post by rweatherford »

I would do a compression test to try to find the weak cylinder.  GM makes a cleaner that is supposed to help quiet noisy lifters and that might be a good thing to try before you tear the engine apart.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

brilamb2

rought idle and no power

Post by brilamb2 »

any idea of the cleaner part # ?  used oil treatment, (stp) and thickening it up helped a little, but not much dont know whether i should try to change the ign module and coils, or just keep pointing to the lifters.

rweatherford

rought idle and no power

Post by rweatherford »

No I don't know a part #.  Most automotive stores carry it.  It is a cleaner not an oil thickener.  Read the directions carefully.

Rex Weatherford

brilamb2

rought idle and no power

Post by brilamb2 »

yeah i know what stuff your talking about, but ive also been told that it can wash out the mains and cam bearings and cause even quicker failure.....    just a thing ive heard.  ever seen anybody try to cahnge the timing chain without pulling the motor?  just wondering...

rweatherford

rought idle and no power

Post by rweatherford »

I've done a timing chain on the V-6 without pulling the motor.  it's not easy, but possible.

I said to read the directions on the stuff for a reason.  It usually does work if used correctly.  If it causes bearing failure then there wasn't much left in the engine anyway.

Rex Weatherford

brilamb2

rought idle and no power

Post by brilamb2 »

found out even more info, oil pump just about shot.  real low pressure, sometimes dropping to nil.  changing tomorrow, everybody i talk to says ti can cause all my probs.

brilamb2

rought idle and no power

Post by brilamb2 »

found out even more info, oil pump just about shot.  real low pressure, sometimes dropping to nil.  changing tomorrow, everybody i talk to says ti can cause all my probs.