COOLANT LOSS

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
Scanman88GT

COOLANT LOSS

Post by Scanman88GT »

I just had my cooling system flushed / filled in my 88GT a few weeks ago. I appear to be losing a small amount of coolant each week, and I can't figure out where it's going.

All hoses are tight/ in good shape. The overflow tank is filled right to where it should be. I have no burnt antifreeze smoke coming out the exhaust, and my oil looks fine. I had a small leak at the base of the filler neck where the radiator cap goes, but I replaced that gasket. I don't see any external signs of coolant leakage, and there aren't any wet spots under the car after I park it.

I noticed the "Low Coolant" light come on a couple of times, and after taking the cap off, I can see that the coolant level is just below the filler neck. I fill it up to the top, and it's just fine for a week or so. Even when it gets low, it doesn't seem like it ever sucks it out of the overflow tank. I'm stumped here. Does this sound like an intake manifold gasket leak or a head gasket starting to go? The car is running just fine, BTW. This engine has around 115,000 miles on it.

Any serious suggestions of where to look would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

COOLANT LOSS

Post by Guest »

I had a similar problem once. Iwas losing a/f but no leaks I changed my rad cap and it fixed my problem. the seal around it was going bad. letting steam escape. hope this helps.

Scanman88GT

COOLANT LOSS

Post by Scanman88GT »

Hey, thanks for the suggestion.
I hadn't even considered that. Now that you mention it, the flat black paint has started to come off of the filler neck below the cap, and the bare metal is almost shining thru in a few small areas. I just changed the gasket at the base of it, and replaced those idiotic torx bolts with allen head cap screws, flat washers and split lock washers.

I'll check the cap out this weekend.

Scanman88GT

Decipha

COOLANT LOSS

Post by Decipha »

my car doesn't even have a radiator cap... 95 base

(4) 90s, 91, 92, 93, 94, and a 95 Supercoupe (x9)
98 Camaro SS 6spd
2000 Lincoln LS 5spd (1 of 2,331)
95 Beretta base

www.efidynotuning.com
Scanman88GT

COOLANT LOSS

Post by Scanman88GT »

Thanks 2tone88....a new radiator cap fixed the problem.

COOLANT LOSS

Post by Guest »

Glad to help.
    Decipha you do have a rad cap but your car is designed diff. your rad cap is on the overflow tank in your system the overflow is pressurized too.