Wont´start!

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
Madmax

Wont´start!

Post by Madmax »

Beretta -90 V6, won´t start!!!!
full battery, have presure on the gas but no ignition!
before this happend it started without any problem.

What to check? where to check

If the coils are bad, how to check the coils?
Can all the 3 coils go bad!

I've been stranded for the moment.....

jtcoolhands

Wont´start!

Post by jtcoolhands »

Someone help I seem to be having the same problem with mine too. Starts fine after it has cooled down but only after a 10 min. drive I shut it off and wouldn't restart.  what's up need advice. if anyone can help. I have the same car and eng. 3.1 '90 gt

Money pit Beretta

Wont´start!

Post by Money pit Beretta »

I think it could be your control module, it is under the coils. If you are going to change it there is a need to put computer heat sink grease on the module it has to be spread with a credit card. That will keep the coils from burning out later. If you need more info I'll be back to help you MadMax.

keep'em flying!
Madmax

Wont´start!

Post by Madmax »

Thanks M p B for your support and suggestions.
We have gaspresure, but I can´t get any sparks.
The Cars is outside and not easy to work with.... at the moment.
I talked to a serviceshop nearby and the hopefully can take care of the problem
We also have a problem with no starter - but that I've tested and seen that when under 11.98v no starter running, if more, it´s running - I got one suggestion that it coild be the starter eating to much power... we see....

Al be back i I got any solutions....

PS.
And one wondering was - how to check if the coils are bad.
and you mention that the coils is seated on the controll module?! how to test...

Money pit Beretta

Wont´start!

The only way to test the coils is to pull one plug wire at a time, to see if there is spark. Place the wire near a bolt (don't hold the wire with your hand). I don't know of any way to test the control module. I had the money to replace everything. If the starter solenoid is bad it is best to replace the starter and soleniod, so you don't have to do it later.

keep'em flying!
Madmax

Wont´start!

Post by Madmax »

No, Had it towed to a serviceshop, and after 2 weeks they told me that they did´t find a solution becuse they could´t check the computer......

And to find anyone who can make service on this car, waist of time...
and a search for a fault by GM the can charge about 300 dollar.........
what a rip off.....

I´m desperate....
Do someone have any good description or picture how to change and the controll modul - is it hard to check/change?
Please....

now I also smashed my Chevy Caprice, it took a sharkbit on a Volvo but spit the damn car out... no my front is toothless.... ;-)
I´m shure need a car that works....
A other problem with my caprice - no one can fix it!! not even our local GM store.... they says it is to big for them, jisses......

i´m so sad for the moment.....

Money pit Beretta

Wont´start!

That's bad news! The coils and control module are eazy to change, it doesn't take long to do. I don't have any way to get a photo. Is there any way for you to get a Chilton's manual? They are the best for do it your self repair and will help you learn about your car and how it works. If the coils or control module are bad the computer will not tell you, so save your money. On the other car I think I know of one place online that has parts, but I'm not sure that they ship outside the U.S. Hey weba is in Helsinki, Finland  I know it's far, but he may be able to help with parts and how to put them on. I'll still be here also.

keep'em flying!
1988GTU

Wont´start!

Post by 1988GTU »

You having a 90 3.1 the coils should be the first half of the following pic (left side) .

Easy to swap out, number/remember where the wires go!

You can check the resistance of the coils.  You have three coils, starting with any one coil pop off both plug boots and put an Ohm meter on each metal tip where the plug boots once clicked onto.  I think 6.30 to 6.47 is ideal (good) .

_________
-------------
Madmax

Wont´start!

Post by Madmax »

Money... I'm very greatful for your time and suggestions.

Now this messageboard feels like our caprice.se javascript:emoticon('')

The first I did was to order a manual. Do not remember if it was Chilton´s, I have order 2 for the Caprice. the latest was the same as for Beretta - they take a new car apart and togheter again... have a look in the morning, It´s night here in Sweden javascript:emoticon('')
I've located the coils earlier but it is a little bit narrow to work so I rather leave it to someone who have the right tools and so...

I put 2 spark, grounded with jumpercable earlier but I did't get any spark. so it feels lite the coils - are the ignition module also "easy" to get off? there are not so much space

Thanks also to 1988GTU for your tip, I shall go out when the daylight come  

I got in touch with a serviceshop "nearby" that feels that they know what they are talking about, http://www.norrortsbilovan.se, and I hope the can fix it.

I'll get back and update as soon as possible.

A other question, in the seats, the catch or the lock for the chair. so that the seat does not falls forward. on both sides the do not work! is it something that can be adjustble?

Many greetings from Sweden even if i'm a little bit javascript:emoticon('') for the moment with 2 cars broke...

1988GTU

Wont´start!

Post by 1988GTU »

You will need to unbolt the THREE coils (5.5mm) to get to the module.  IF you can wiggle the fan out, it can be done from uptop.  If you cannot wiggle the fan out, then you will need to go at it from the underside of the car.

_________
-------------
Money pit Beretta

Wont´start!

I still think you should do the work yourself, but if you feel better taking it to the shop go for it. On the seat I don't know, you may have to take the passenger seat out to see how it works and what can be done. I hope there is something on this in the new manual, if not I'll check mine. You can take the control module and the coils off at the same time, they are bolted together. Try to take the bolts off the radiator and push it back for more room (don't take the radiator out or unhook it, just push it back some).

keep'em flying!
JeffD

Wont´start!

Post by JeffD »

Dudes, this verything happened to me too, it sounds just like a crank sensor. (back side of engine, above oil pan. has two wire harness attached to it going to the control modual.)
At the shop we've seen a few of these on older cars, so here is what to watch out for: the plastic get brittle so be very gentle when you try to pull it out, if the head breaks off you may need to pull the oilpan and push it out.  don't ask how I know.
what happens is the sensor portion that goes into the engine swells and splits when old, this allows oil to enter and short out the coils around the permanant magnet that creates the signal that the pcm uses to control spark.

1988 Beretta GT 5 speed - 1st car... Gone to the crusher. :(
1989 Beretta GT Z-51
1994 Beretta Z26 getting FE7+Z51 goodies
1987 Pontiac Bonneville LG3+4T65-E
1987 Chevrolet Celebrity Wagon L36+4T65-E
1998 Chevrolet C1500 5.7L L31+ built 4L60-E