90 2.2 surging idle

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
ozzy

90 2.2 surging idle

Post by ozzy »

my wifes 1990 2.2 crapped out on her on the way to work..towed it home..i got it to fire over and it surgerd a couple of times and died....tried a couple of more times and i finally  disconnected the o2 sensor then the engine caught..i held throttle down till it cleared out the engine and it fires up every time and maintains the rpm at 10,000....at the tail pipe the exhaust blow by on the ground was carbon black..i will put in a new o2 sensor and reset the computer(new)...just before this happened it had a severe odor of sulpher..im just wondering if my converter is getting plugged up..any idea;s on what it might be?..thanks in advance

1988GTU

90 2.2 surging idle

Post by 1988GTU »

Sounds like the O2 was making the car run rich causing the CAT to become clogged.  
You live in michigan?  If so, depending how the community is, you could* plunger out the CAT and make it hollowed out.  You'd have to cut the exhaust pipe after the CAT, pull it down, stick a solid bar in there while moving it around inside.  Start car up with CAT stil hanging down, give it a nice safe high rev (Maybe a few times) shut it off and let it cool put an adapter on the cut area of pipe, clamp it shut...  Drive on with life.  It'll be a little louder than normal, but it will not be loud enough for a ticket.
You should see the particles blown out onto the ground after all this is done.  

The best thing to do is to have the CAT replaced.

Do at own risk.

_________
-------------
ozzy

90 2.2 surging idle

Post by ozzy »

ya kind of what i thought ....we dont have emissions testing anymore so i can get away withdoing that..plus after a certian amount of years the car is exempt depending on the age of the vehicle...thanks for the reply

ozzy

90 2.2 surging idle

Post by ozzy »

pulled the o2 sensor...was total carboned up..replaced it and reset computer...running decent once again..will keep an eye on the convertor..still think that is the main issue ..but cash flow is  low...will see how long this 02 will hold out...thanks for the help