not starting

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
Jetfoi34

not starting

Post by Jetfoi34 »

pulled into a parking lot today and the car stalled - so i tried starting it again and it would crank once or twice but not turn over
the volts were pretty low so i called for someone to jumpstart me
got it running and drove it home and parked it - a min after i parked it i tried starting it again and nothing - no cranking no nothing
so is there anyway of telling if its the altenator or the battery?
i dont think its really a factor but its a 91 3.1 5-speed with 160,000miles

if i jump it it will run but as soon as its off its completely dead

1991 Beretta GT 3400 5-speed -- black/garnet

1988 Beretta GT auto
17.355 @ 78.63

1991 Beretta GTZ quad4  -  R.I.P.
GTZ&IROC-Z

not starting

Post by GTZ&IROC-Z »

try jumping it again and pull the cable from the battery, if it stays running your alternator is ok and there may be a problem with your battery. if it shuts off on the other hand theres something wrong in the alternator area.

------------------------------His--------------------------------------------------
1991 GTZ, White on Black Interior, 3.1 3 speed auto

-----------------------------Hers-------------------------------------------------
1990 GT, Black on Red Interior, 3.1 5 Speed Stick  
Jetfoi34

not starting

Post by Jetfoi34 »

ok thanks ill go see whats up
stupid question actually... pull the positive or negative or both or what?

1991 Beretta GT 3400 5-speed -- black/garnet

1988 Beretta GT auto
17.355 @ 78.63

1991 Beretta GTZ quad4  -  R.I.P.
GTZ&IROC-Z

not starting

Post by GTZ&IROC-Z »

pull the positive cable, if it stays running your alternator is good if not theres a charging system problem

------------------------------His--------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------Hers-------------------------------------------------
Decipha

not starting

Post by Decipha »

if the car stalled then THAT seems like its the alternator... only 3 bolts to swap it out

If you don't have a tool for the belt tensioner then i would recommend using a 2x4
cram it underneath the belt tensioner and pull the board down making the tensioner
rise.  I fould its actually easier than the belt tensioner tool and works perfect for me.

(4) 90s, 91, 92, 93, 94, and a 95 Supercoupe (x9)
98 Camaro SS 6spd
2000 Lincoln LS 5spd (1 of 2,331)
95 Beretta base

www.efidynotuning.com
rweatherford

not starting

Post by rweatherford »

If your battery was your only problem you could have just ruined or damaged your alternator by running the car with no battery.  That will kill alternators.  Weak batteries can damage alternators too.

Have the battery checked.  If it is bad replace it.  Then have the alternator checked.  If bad replace it.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

not starting

Post by Guest »

Hi there is u find the problem because mine is doing the same most times , but not always I can tell when she will before stopping she feels like she will stall out but doesnt I have spent a fortune and she is not running right

not starting

Post by Guest »

DO NOT PULL THE CABLE !!! in newer vehicles you run the risk of sending a voltage spike thru the comp and could possibally damage it. It's recomended that anything after 79 you shouldn't do that trick. Most car parts stores can do testing on the parts in or out of the car or you can buy a pocket tester for like 10.00 advance auto sells them and theyre pretty accurate.

1988GTU

not starting

Post by 1988GTU »

I picked that up for under 2 dollars.  Did it's jobs.

_________
-------------

not starting

Post by Guest »

They've went down BIG TIME I paid like 10.00 3 yrs ago. LOL

GTZ&IROC-Z

not starting

Post by GTZ&IROC-Z »

i,ve pulled the cables off many vehicles to test and never ran into any major problems, i'm a truck mechanic too and do the same, my foreman and I both agree that this test is ok, but i do agree with the weak battery part and can see what your saying

1988GTU

not starting

Post by 1988GTU »

If you pull the cable off the car as it is running, you run the risk of a voltage spike and that could cause many many things to fail (IE - ECM, sensors, anything inline to any of that) .
Sure you could get the same thing if you pulled the cable(s) off when not running, but the chances are greater if running.  Plus, the negative cable is what you take off the B+ first.

_________
-------------

not starting

Post by Guest »

joke of the day: what does a truck mechanic and his forman have to do with a chevy beretta? ans. nothing!

GTZ&IROC-Z

not starting

Post by GTZ&IROC-Z »

(red92gt @ Dec. 28 2005,18:43)Q
U
O
T
Ejoke of the day: what does a truck mechanic and his forman have to do with a chevy beretta? ans. nothing!
when the truck mechanic and his foreman both have berettas of their own and is very knowledgable on the ins and outs on this stuff, I would say a little more than you

IsaacHayes

not starting

Post by IsaacHayes »

It's easy to test the battery and alternator if you have a voltmeter

First start the car, and measure the voltage at the battery, if its ~13.8 then the alternator is charging. If not, then it's bad.

If it is charging, then perhasp the battery is bad. Most auto parts stores will test both your battery and alternator for free. They don't remove your alt to test, but maybe you have to bring the battery inside....

Image Image 2010 project (click pic)
1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles.
16.0 @ 84.41mph when stock. Now ???
Original L82 w/LA1, LX9, & LX5 parts!!!

soon to be OBD1 tuned...