No lights at all

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
90Beretta

No lights at all

Post by 90Beretta »

My 1988 beretta has no lights at all not even the tail or brake lights. Interior lights are working headlamps are not. I have checked fuses and all are good. The car was sitting for 3 years off the road. I have a new battery and a new alternator. All gauges are working except temp. Please help!!

1988 Beretta GT Blue
HateMyAuto

No lights at all

Post by HateMyAuto »

Probably unlikely, but have you checked the bulbs? Other than that, possibly the headlamp switch? Or the turn signal stalk. A few years ago I switched from my high beams to my low beams and lost the lights because the switch broke.

'96 Z26 Now with 10% more displacement
'94 Camaro
90Beretta

No lights at all

Post by 90Beretta »

Ah good thinking the previous owner of the car had mentioned he experienced an issue with the headlamp switch prior and that it had to be pressed in hard and pull out gently to get contact. I will check the bulbs tonight never checked them yet

1988 Beretta GT Blue
90Beretta

No lights at all

Post by 90Beretta »

Update: I have checked fuses and all fuses are fine. Seems to be something electrical Car sat for just under a year since last on the road last march

1988 Beretta GT Blue
90Beretta

No lights at all

Post by 90Beretta »

Another update folks, the four way flashers and backup lights are working, only need the signals and headlights and tail and brake lights now!!. I think the fuse panel has a loose wire somewhere once I moved the panel and pushed on it some of the lights came on. Going to check the bulbs and switches next

1988 Beretta GT Blue
Money pit Beretta

No lights at all

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Sounds good, keep us updated.

keep'em flying!
90Beretta

No lights at all

Post by 90Beretta »

Update:
The neighbourhood mechanic is picking up the car today to get it saftied and get it ready for the road.

1988 Beretta GT Blue
Luckymc420

No lights at all

Post by Luckymc420 »

Well Maybe this will help. I am at school so I can only see some sites. I googled 1988 Beretta Light schematics and found this: Link  I don't know if this will help but at least I tried.

Project B!

1991 5-Speed Beretta with a 2002 3400 OBDII In progress.....
90Beretta

No lights at all

Post by 90Beretta »

Oh thanks very much. I will check it out. Says page cannot be found.....:(

1988 Beretta GT Blue
Luckymc420

No lights at all

Post by Luckymc420 »

Humm Well i will keep lookin, but i got work all night into the morning so ill look wheni have breaks.  Sorry about the bad link.

Project B!

1991 5-Speed Beretta with a 2002 3400 OBDII In progress.....
90Beretta

No lights at all

Post by 90Beretta »

New update... : The mechanic has come finally to get the car. He is now starting the work to inspect and get it ready for the road. So far it needs new rocker panels and he has not yet started on the electrical problems. I hope to hear from him in a few days as to the estimate cost to get it on the road!!!

1988 Beretta GT Blue
Money pit Beretta

No lights at all

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Be sure to post when you get it back, I hope it's cheap to fix. This is a bad time of year not to have a car.

keep'em flying!
90Beretta

No lights at all

Post by 90Beretta »

Well its ok I got it for a second car so I have a car now anyways.

1988 Beretta GT Blue
yellow3800

No lights at all

Post by yellow3800 »

I bet its the power wires going to the fuses BEHIND the fuse box.  If this panel is removed, look in back and look VISUALLY for corroded contacs on that light fuse circuit [don't remember the number it is ... 7? doh whell].  Wiggle the wires and look for stiff ones.  Be prepared with a multi-meter and know how to check impedance of wires [easy and fun].

As the circuits age, and higher current drains [arguable, sure that the manufactureres can use one ga. thicker wire for heavy current pulling systems] the wires will break down at the ends IF moisture gets to them.  Other corrosion possible too, sure.

When my car did this, I had to put an 8" leader to it from the fuse tab/block [soldered it there] and ran it out.  Only one wire was my problem.  GOOD AS NEW!  actually better because, I upped the wire size one gauge, even if only for that 8" leader!

This is Nissans, Chevys, Fords, EVERYBODY.  I've seen it a lot.

enjoy!

Andy