Axle seal leak- again!

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...

Axle seal leak- again!

Post by Guest »

I've got a 1994 beretta with a 3100, 4 spd. automatic.  Three or four years ago the seal where the drivers side axle shaft goes into the transaxle started leaking- it was leaving puddles on the ground.  I went to autozone and bought a cheap seal, and put it in.  The axle shaft surface was smooth and wasn't grooved.  About a week later it was leaking again.  So I went to carquest and told them I wanted the most expensive seal they could sell me for that application.  They had a National brand seal- the lip and spring was bigger than on the cheap autozone seals.  I put that one in, and it didn't leak at all for about a year.  After about a year, it started leaking just a little, and now it's leaking enough that I think i should fix it again.  I hate to just put another seal in it- I know it'll leak again soon enough.  The axle shaft seems a little loose where it goes into the transaxle, but the passenger side is just as loose and has never leaked.  Is there a bushing or something I can replace to tighten it up?  Any other ideas?  The car has about 145,000 miles and runs great otherwise.

1988GTU

Axle seal leak- again!

Post by 1988GTU »

I would think the axel is wobbling enough to crap that seal leaving you with a leak...
If it were me and I had enough money, I would put a new/reman axle in and a new seal back in...  Then watch it for leaks.

That's all I would do.

_________
-------------
rweatherford

Axle seal leak- again!

Post by rweatherford »

If the axle does not show any signs of wear I would probably not replace it.

My book for a 3T40 shows a bushing on the passengers side and a bearing on drivers side.

I would assume that the 4T60E would have some type of support surface for the axles besides the seal.  A transmission shop or dealer can tell you what you need to know.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

Decipha

Axle seal leak- again!

Post by Decipha »

just change the damn cv joint

(4) 90s, 91, 92, 93, 94, and a 95 Supercoupe (x9)
98 Camaro SS 6spd
2000 Lincoln LS 5spd (1 of 2,331)
95 Beretta base

www.efidynotuning.com
rweatherford

Axle seal leak- again!

Post by rweatherford »

I don't see what this has to do with a CV joint unless it is causing severe shaking.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

Jeff P

Axle seal leak- again!

Post by Jeff P »

I know this is kind of an old topic, but I've got a little bit of experience with leaking axle seals too.  When I installed my new transmission, fluid leaked out around one of the seals.  Three seals later it was still leaking.  I took it to a new mechanic and he actually put a sealer in around the axle seal.  That was a while ago, and not a drop yet  I'm not sure what kind of sealer he used, but talk to a shop and maybe they can recommend something.  Just a note, do NOT use silicone.

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi