Rad Fan Relay or motor?

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
niter3

Rad Fan Relay or motor?

Post by niter3 »

Hey guys, I've noticed my car getting hot lately and well tonight it just about got as hot as the car could get, so I pulled over and let it cool down. You could hear the rad boiling. :s  So far no trace of coolant in the oil. I was wondering though, how can I determine if the relay for the rad fan motor is bad before I pulled the rad fan and motor out??

HateMyAuto

Rad Fan Relay or motor?

Post by HateMyAuto »

The fan should come on when the water temp gauge is about at 3/4, I think. If your fan doesn't come on when the car is at this temp, see if the fan turns on when there's power flowing to it. If it does, then it's probably the relay.

'96 Z26 Now with 10% more displacement
'94 Camaro
niter3

Rad Fan Relay or motor?

Post by niter3 »

Yes, I've also let the car sit in the on position to have power going to the car with the motor off. The fan still did not come on. Is it safe to say that the fan motor is toasted?

HateMyAuto

Rad Fan Relay or motor?

Post by HateMyAuto »

Did you bypass the relay? Try turning on the car with the relay bypassed, the fan should immediatly turn on.

'94 Camaro
niter3

Rad Fan Relay or motor?

Post by niter3 »

How do you do that?

1988GTU

Rad Fan Relay or motor?

Post by 1988GTU »

Use a jumper wire to complete this testing task.

_________
-------------
niter3

Rad Fan Relay or motor?

Post by niter3 »

Ok i've test it out. Fan and relay are good. My guess is the temp sensor. Does this sensor sit against the firewall???

niter3

Rad Fan Relay or motor?

Post by niter3 »

Alright guys, I'm stumped now!  I've checked the rad fan, and the relay. Both are good if I manually ground them out. I grounded it out at the cluster temp gauge and the fan works no problem. This tells me the relay and the motor on the fan are good. At this point I figured the temp coolant sensor was bad, so I replaced it. Fan started working, and it's been one day now and yet again the fan is not engaging.

So I'm down to this, fan is good, relay is good, brand new temp coolant sensor, and the harness that plugs into the coolant temp sensor looks good too. Any ideas??

BerettaLove32

Rad Fan Relay or motor?

Post by BerettaLove32 »

I've got the exact same problem as you. Replaced everything and it still doesn't work. This week I'm gonna try and run new wires everywhere because I'm stumped as too what the problem could be.

HateMyAuto

Rad Fan Relay or motor?

Post by HateMyAuto »

Is the car still overheating?

'94 Camaro
niter3

Rad Fan Relay or motor?

Post by niter3 »

Ok, another update for you guys. I replaced the thermostat, and I the fan is still not engaging. Now I'm going to replace the relay out to be safe. I was talking with a guy that said that bypassing would totally bypass the relay. So the next step is to replace the relay. I'm hoping this fixs the issues. This is becoming just a pain in the ***!

Hey, let me know if you figure it out.