3.1l not running right

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
Money pit Beretta

Re: 3.1l not running right

Post by Money pit Beretta »

I replaced all the sensors on my 90 and it didn't help much. I still think it's your purge valve. My headlights would dim also. I have the canistor if you need it. I would ask for 40 bucks plus shipping for it. It cost me 90 bucks total when I bought it. A new O2 would help in the long run, but won't fix your problem. The 3100's have the coils on the top of the engine in the back. The purge valve is under them. It's more easy to change, but I have not heard of anybody having a problem with them. It's just something that happens to the older cars with the valve on the canistor. My 90's idle would go up and down all the time. Sometimes there would be a stall. I had a new alt that the box said would help keep the headlights from going dim and it didn't(because that wasn't the problem, it was the hunting idle). PM me if you want the canistor.

keep'em flying!
Money pit Beretta

Here is a site with good info on the older cars. It could help later on. I will say that I don't agree with him on the use of anti-seize. You have to use it. I use it all the time on all bolts(and the plugs) that are going into aluminum. The first time I changed the pulgs in the 90 I didn't use it(I didn't know the heads were aluminum). I pulled the pulgs out the next time and got some thread along with the plugs(just some of the top ones, lucky for me). Ok, that is off topic, but I just thought I'd say that. The site
http://xse.com/leres/efidiag/ignition.html

The info that will help you now is under "Vacuum leaks". Also he says that carb cleaner could eat the TB gasket when you are cleaning it. I use it and have never had a problem(you will know what I'm talking about after you read it). There is some good info on that site, other than those two things.

keep'em flying!
ajsberetta

Post by ajsberetta »

my car just reminded me of another symptom!!! stupid thing. whille im CRUSING at around the speed of 45-55mph the engine will like surge, the rpms will go down and shoot back up and down and back up (feells like down shifting and up shifting) maybe like the torque converter coming on and off. i dont know. is this another sign of the purge canister gone bad or like bad egr? any thoughts would be helpfull. so i went to three junk yards and still no berettas or cavys or luminas or corsicas around here!!!!!!! and no cars with a 3.4l so frustarting(off topic)anyways any help would be nice thanks guys

Money pit Beretta

Could be the TCC. When your driving and it's doing the up and down, put it in 2nd(at 45mph) and see if it still does it. I think your converter is locking and unlocking as you said. If it does it in 2nd then it is slipping and it's time for a new trans. Also check the color and the smell on the dip stick. Smell to see if the fluid is burnt and look to see if there is metal flakes and a orange color. This will tell you if the trans is in good shape or not.

keep'em flying!
ajsberetta

Post by ajsberetta »

well i cant use the a/c to keep my car idling right anymore it just stoped working on me again. When i put it in 2nd it still does it. for the last or two my idle has been fine...i dont know why. the torque converter is sounding like its the problem yet again. .

Money pit Beretta

What does the fluid look like? In 2nd the converter should not lock at all. The trans may br slipping. If the RPM's go up and down when held in all gears then the trans needs to be rebuilt or replaced.

keep'em flying!
ajsberetta

Post by ajsberetta »

well ill have to check the fluid its about 2 years old now(i know i need to change it) i thought i would never have to rebuild a tans ever again...damn ill have to look into the tcc and switch some more. i think the band for 2nd is the issue sure hope not.

Money pit Beretta

What color is that fluid?

keep'em flying!