&)(*$@_)(*_!

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
6r8ph1X

&)(*$@_)(*_!

Post by 6r8ph1X »

96 3100sfi auto base (red)           Ok guys, this one is urgent and has me stumped. So this is what happened. I was picking my sister up from her high school when I came around a corner slightly fast and my tires squealed     Then the school cop ALMOST gave me a ticket. I said my tires were balding and thats why they squealed.    He let me off!  But thats not the point. While I was talking to him, all of a sudden, my oil light came on and my engine sounded like a cumins diesel. Thats some scary Sh** right there guys! I got out and checked my oil and it was BELOW low. I had checked it the other day and it was halfway full! I was scared out of my pants and my sis had a doctors appointment! So, I limped it to the nearest gas station (about 2 miles) with NO power behind my engine what so ever. and I bought 2 quarts. Put one in and it read halfway full. I'm like "Ok, its fixed" NOPE! I went to start it and it did the same cumins diesel sound. So I limped it again across the street to the Kroger parking lot, where my grand ma came and picked us up. I am in the process of getting it towed right now. WHAT HAPPENED TO MY BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  any thoughts? Thanks guys.

1993 Beretta GT, FX Designs Body Kit, Ram Air hood, 3.1 MPFI 3 Speed, 90,000 miles
1996 Beretta Base, GTU conversion, 3400sfi with less than 100,000 miles   ==  Traded
Money pit Beretta

&)(*$@_)(*_!

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Wow! All I can do is guess, coils going out and front and rear main seals gone. Lifters make a diesel noise when they do not get enough oil. Have you looked under the engine to see where it is coming out? If it is the main seals and there is one per side it will cost alot. I knew a girl that paid 1G to have it done (not on a Beretta).

keep'em flying!
6r8ph1X

&)(*$@_)(*_!

Post by 6r8ph1X »

Thats the thing money pit, ITS NOT GOING ANYWHERE!!!!
it is like being sucked up somewhere. None on the ground. None in the antifreeze, checked that. There's oil in the valve cover area (where you put it in) and its not frothy. My ONLY guess is the oil pump went out. Thats what everyone else I know is telling me. But what would provoke that, and wouldn't it give me a small amount of warning? The only thing I noticed this morning was it was idling slightly above normal but that stoped once I started to drive it.    WHY!!!!!

1993 Beretta GT, FX Designs Body Kit, Ram Air hood, 3.1 MPFI 3 Speed, 90,000 miles
1996 Beretta Base, GTU conversion, 3400sfi with less than 100,000 miles   ==  Traded
Money pit Beretta

&)(*$@_)(*_!

I just don't know. This is strange. No smoke? As for the pump, my oil pump drive had to be replaced once, but I still had oil in the pan. All the warning I had was my pressure was low even after I had changed the leaking presure sender. Does your temp get high quickly?

keep'em flying!
rweatherford

&)(*$@_)(*_!

Post by rweatherford »

Sounds like the intake manifold gasket is leaking internally and it is sucking the oil into the engine and burning it.  This is common on 3100's.

Check the spark plugs.  When you find one or more with white ash deposits then you found your problem.

The result is you got too low on oil and probably ruined at least the engine bearings, perhaps worse.  It doesn't help that you were very low on oil AND went around a corner fast under full load.  You probably lost oil pressure during the coner and wiped out the bearings.  (they are more like copper bushings)

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

Money pit Beretta

&)(*$@_)(*_!

The Chilton's manual has a troubleshooting guide for oil on page 3-26 and 3-27. If you don't have one or can't get one tell me and I will list what may be of use. Keep me updated.

keep'em flying!
Money pit Beretta

&)(*$@_)(*_!

REX! Where have you been? I had hope that someone who knew would show up. I feel bad that I'm not much help. I didn't see your post till after I had posted.

keep'em flying!
6r8ph1X

&)(*$@_)(*_!

Post by 6r8ph1X »

hey guys thanks for tryin to help. While at the dealer, they went to do the diagnostic. They said they weren't going to even charge me the whole cost because when they turned it on, they instantly turned it off because they were afraid to break something worse. They said they think it was the lifters or push rods or something but to even try to figure out what it was, it would cost upwards of a thousand dollars. I'm pretty much saying screw fixing my 3100 and trying the 3400 route. I think it would be cheaper. 1 i need the swap pdf if anyone has it because the 3400 swap site is down. 2 I need a motor and I'm not shure if I can get it localy or if anyone can offer me one for cheap with slightly cheap shipping, or maby i could come get it, that would be great. This sux, I'm starting college on the 4th and now I have no mode of transportation. I don't know what I'll do.    Thanks for the help guys.

6r8ph1X

&)(*$@_)(*_!

Post by 6r8ph1X »

GOOD NEWS GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!  my friend who sold me my retta came over today to look at her.Weirdly, I put in the key, and she started up as normal!!!!!!!!!!!!! (with minimal lifter tick) THIS ROX!!!!! Now i need new lifters, rods and such and I'm gona work on it next sunday!!!!! awesome. Now i have to figure out where my oils goin. Hmmmmmmm

Money pit Beretta

&)(*$@_)(*_!

Anything new? Lifters most of the time don't care if they are run low on oil. I'd spend the money on other things. If you change the lifters it is best to also get push rods and rockers(they have all worn into each other and may not work right with one new part). The valve tips and cam are something also to think of, well you see where I'm going.

keep'em flying!
6r8ph1X

&)(*$@_)(*_!

Post by 6r8ph1X »

Ok, I drover her tonight, just around the block. I was so careful, I don't think I can drive that way unless i'm asleep  Anyway, my buddy is commin over sunday and were gona check all the lifters, see which one or ones are the culprit, and replace those, possibly the rods, and maby the rocker corresponding to that valve. I was told by someone else to check the cam also but I'll check it and see. Wish me luck and any imput is greatly appreciated.

Money pit Beretta

&)(*$@_)(*_!

I still don't think it has anything to do with the valvetrain, but I'm not driving the car. I'd go with what Rex had to say about it. My 3.1 had to have the intake gaskets changed for something different than what has happend to you. Keep us updated.

keep'em flying!
6r8ph1X

&)(*$@_)(*_!

Post by 6r8ph1X »

Actually , right before I got it, my buddy put on new gaskets, upper and lower i think, because oil and antifreeze was mixing. My oil looks fine, like regular oil, no frothing and no metal shavings. I'll see this weekend. Thanks for the support guys, especially money pit.

Money pit Beretta

&)(*$@_)(*_!

I'm here to help as much as I can! I hope you get this fixed and get your car back on the road asap. Hang in there. I know one day I'll need your help.

keep'em flying!
6r8ph1X

&)(*$@_)(*_!

Post by 6r8ph1X »

This really sux, my dad was in a bad mood today so he wouldn't help me clean the garage and he forgot to get the money out of the bank so i could get the parts. GREAT!!! I have to wait till next sat and bum rides again this week.    
I'll keep ya posted