&)(*$@_)(*_!

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
Money pit Beretta

&)(*$@_)(*_!

Post by Money pit Beretta »

A week is a long time to wait for a update, get to work! Just joking. I have something I'm trying to work out my self.

keep'em flying!
6r8ph1X

&)(*$@_)(*_!

Post by 6r8ph1X »

Ok here's the deal, I've been actually runnin my retta since Sunday. She's yellin at me when she's cold but then she warms up and I only get the patented GM piston slap. I'm still gona replace the lifters, pushrods and maby even the rocker arms this weekend tho. I'm tryin. I got about $1,000 from my grandparents to help me fix her so i'm happy. But then I found out it also has to go to my dad's van too oh well. Still got alittle under $1,000 to fix my car. He has some vacume line issues to fix and then I hope I can get the rest. I'm gona try to sneak in stuff like fixing my seats, my door handle and maby a new amp or sub    may try to get a CAI from Weapon-R also. Who knows!!!! gata wait till this weekend!!!!!

1993 Beretta GT, FX Designs Body Kit, Ram Air hood, 3.1 MPFI 3 Speed, 90,000 miles
1996 Beretta Base, GTU conversion, 3400sfi with less than 100,000 miles   ==  Traded
Money pit Beretta

&)(*$@_)(*_!

Piston slap, are you sure that you didn't spin a rod bearing? I wish I could say that there is a place online to get a short block, but all that I know of is Crate engine depot. They sell what they call a 96 3.1 (sure they mean 3100). The trouble is that it is 2G's for that. I'll try to look around before the weekend. For the door handle don't buy from A1 auto it won't fit right. Try to contact 1988GTU and see if he can help. Also I do not like Weapon-R  filters, there are others out there. Buy another CAI and get a K&N.

keep'em flying!
6r8ph1X

&)(*$@_)(*_!

Post by 6r8ph1X »

You know what? I 'll try to get a movie going on my car so you guys can hear it ok? I'll try to do that tomorrow. Why not weapon-R? I like the idea of the secret weapon design, creating a vacuum forcing in more air into the engine, or am I being fooled by the advertising people? Take a look at it, I think it is plausible, plus IDK if I can afford a K&N unless someone wants to sell me a CAI with a K&N cone filter, I'll gladly look at that. Also, I got a PM from 1988GTU for a door handle for $55 with shipping so, I may look at that. I cannot afford a new engine unless it is in good condition for under or around like $500. Even then, I have no idea how to replace an engine. Also I need the car for going to school. I hate driving the Ford 15 passenger van around    (Big family, and eats gas like a hummer). I recently also thought about which light came on on my dash when it all happened. It was my oil pressure light, the one that looks like an oil canister, not the low oil light. IDK if that makes any dif but just a thought. Also I was turning left btw when it happened. Oh well I'm, tryin. Thanks again for the help Money pit, I now know why you chose that S/N. lol Oh also, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD I cannot get the stupid P0401 code for my egr flow insufficient light to go off!!!!! I've cleaned the CRAP out of that thing! The Plenum entrance, all the way through the egr entrance to the throttle body area, the exhaust pipe going to the manifold, and the egr itself. I've also tried like 6 diff egr's! They all suck! any incite on this would help thanks.

Video update, here's the best I got for now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd4tFXvpTak

1993 Beretta GT, FX Designs Body Kit, Ram Air hood, 3.1 MPFI 3 Speed, 90,000 miles
1996 Beretta Base, GTU conversion, 3400sfi with less than 100,000 miles   ==  Traded
loosenutbehindthewheel

&)(*$@_)(*_!

Post by loosenutbehindthewheel »

get the video yet?... and if she is still running, why put money into a motor that you know will need to be replaced, if it were me, i would "milk" it along as long as i could (drive it easy) save my money and get all the nessasary parts rounded up for the swap of a new engine... just my thoughts and what the hell do i know anyways?...

6r8ph1X

&)(*$@_)(*_!

Post by 6r8ph1X »

Ya I got that vid from last night, but as soon as I get home from college, I should be able to post a new one in daylight. I get out of school today at I'm guessing around 7:00pm ohio time. Hopefully I should have a new one posted around then but it may take a while because I have a butt ton of homework.

Money pit Beretta

&)(*$@_)(*_!

Saw the video the sound on it wasn't real clear. But it did sound like a rod knock. My 83Z28 had a rod knock and I drove it for 3 months just to save more money for the new engine. Just like loosenut said. I know it sucks but it is the only thing that you can do to save your car (new engine that is). Don't give up!

keep'em flying!
6r8ph1X

&)(*$@_)(*_!

Post by 6r8ph1X »

If you really think so, If anyone wants to shoot me a price on a new engine, where to get it, the tutorial on the 3400 swap and anyone from the dayton ish area wants to help me, it would be greatly apreciated. I got about 800 to 900 bucks so, cheaper but good miles please. I know nothing of engines or transmisions except how to fix a starter now and spark plugs. Man this sux. I still don't think its the engine but hey, if i can get a faster and newer engine, who doesn't want one. But I need this stuff fast ish please. like this weekend if possible I've put this off now for like 3 weeks already. help me out guys. I want my fast retta back also if it was a knock, the knock sensor would be tripping so i don't think it is that.

Money pit Beretta

&)(*$@_)(*_!

I thought HateMyAuto had a short block, I had to go back and check his post. But he just has a bare 3100 block, also he is down south.

keep'em flying!
6r8ph1X

&)(*$@_)(*_!

Post by 6r8ph1X »

He's in Florida, I'm in ohio, a little bit of a drive lol. Any way, can you send me a copy of the 3400 swap pdf? the site is down. Thanks!!!

6r8ph1X

&)(*$@_)(*_!

Post by 6r8ph1X »

Hello all, I have a update!!!!!!  We took off the valve covers today and looked around at the rods, and rockerarms. 1 of the front rockerarms had a steady stream of oil, 1 was cloged, and we didn't check all the rest. We have determined that I need a new oil pump, and I need to change my oil to a slightly thiner oil than 10W-40. I also need new sparks, and spark wires. This SHOULD fix the fact that there's no oil getting to the upper area of my motor and stop the ticking. 1 question, are Rapid fires worth it? What are their advantages? I kinda want to get them. Also, what are good wires to get? Thanks guys!

Cliff8928
Administrator

&)(*$@_)(*_!

Post by Cliff8928 »

Rapidfires are good, but even better are the ACDelco 41-101 Iridium plugs.  You can get them at AutoZone for a very reasonable price compared to other brands.

Cliff Scott
Money pit Beretta

&)(*$@_)(*_!

On the wires get a multimeter (got mine at Radio Shack). Test the ohms on the longest wire of each set, the lowest is the best. I run Rapidfires and can say they are good, I won't say great. I ran Splitfires in my 83z28 and after one month it ran bad, but it had HEI. If you try the AC Delco 41-101 tell me what you think of them. I hope that's all that is wrong with your engine(rocker arms). Good luck.

keep'em flying!
6r8ph1X

&)(*$@_)(*_!

Post by 6r8ph1X »

Thanks money pit. I hope it fixes it. Also, Cliff, why are the AC Delco 41-101 Iridums better? I remember hearing reasons rapid fires were better but i forget where i saw that. Thanks!

Cliff8928
Administrator

&)(*$@_)(*_!

Post by Cliff8928 »

They have a thinner wire electrode and promote a better spark.  Not to mention that iridium lasts longer than platinum.  I have a couple friends that have used them with great success. I also put them in a 3.1 that i had done a head gasket job on.

The rapidfires they sell now aren't really anything special.  They're just like single platinum if i remember right.  When they first came out the design was different.

Cliff Scott