Temp Issue/Curiosity

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
kjlee2112

Temp Issue/Curiosity

Post by kjlee2112 »

I'll try to describe this as best I can.... I've got a '96 base V6 3.1L... When i start the car... the temp is normal.. after driving for a bit...  the temp goes way up.... to the 3/4 mark on the gauge, sometimes just over(enough to worry the poo outta me), and then it will return to the normal level just under the 1/4 mark.. it happens only once after I turn on the car... its almost as if the fan isn't kicking in until a certain time or something.. but i'm worried about it... also... when i put my heat on... and the temp goes way up... the temperature of the air coming out of the vents goes way down... almost cold actually.. lol... then when the temp needle goes down.. the air temp returns warm...

If anyone can help me out before this becomes a serious issue I'd really appreciate it, thanks!!

1996 V6 3.1L Base
cramez

Temp Issue/Curiosity

Post by cramez »

Your thermostat is sticking.  Easy fix, just pick one up from the dealer and it's a two-bolt install.  Definitely get one from the GM dealer though, they're a two-stage thermostat (partial open at one temp, full open at another) and a regular Stant like what you would get from a parts store will do the same thing as you're describing now.  The GM one should be less than $20 anyways.  I forget if the 3100 has a gasket there or if it's got the rubber edge around the thermostat itself, but ask at the dealer and get a gasket if you need one.  

If you've never done one before:  Find your upper radiator hose and follow it back to the motor.  The spot that it attaches to is the thermostat housing.  Unbolt it, remove the old thermostat, put in the new one.  Piece of cake.  

2002 Monte Carlo SS - Daily Driver
1984 Z28 - 355/5-speed
1978 Jeep CJ-5 Renegade
1955 house - sucks up all the car money

Ebay Beretta Parts (changes weekly): http://motors.shop.ebay.com/cramez/m.html?...from=&_ipg=