88 with check engine light

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
88Gretta

88 with check engine light

Post by 88Gretta »

Okay, i know this has been posted before, but I have more to add.

Not only does the oill gauge read up and down and cause the check engine light to come on, but im also going through #1 fuses(central computer & engine control) like water! I can't take the car on long trips at higher speeds, cuz it will randomly start chugging and die. when it has done this after sitting and with short amounts of driving, i can replace the fuse and it will start right up again, sometimes it dies down to nothing but the radio being on.

The most common cause I have found to this issue is the oil pressure switch/sender/sensor. Are these all the same thing? Do I need a 1, 2, or 3 prong??

I also am having issues with the speed control. Sure I have to replace the speed sensor, but...it reads 35 miles faster that I am actually going, and this is wierd...when it get to where it reads 110 (no, im not actually going that speed), the car 'lurches', and acts like it's going to die(the car "makes" itself slow back down).

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks

UPDATE: Just wanted to add this is the base model, 2.8 v6

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: 88 with check engine light

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I would try replacing the computer, it sounds like something is amiss in there causing your bad speed reading, fluxuating oil pressure, AND blowing the fuse.

As far as the pressure sender goes, If you HAVE to replace it, you will need the 3 pin one since it sounds like you have a gauge on your dash.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
88Gretta

Post by 88Gretta »

Thanks so much! Where is that sensor located? At the rear cam housing on my model? How hard is it to get to?

88Gretta

Post by 88Gretta »

Also....do i need any special tools to remove/install a different dash?

Thanks again!

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

The oil pressure sender should be by the oil filter. Halfway up the block. Deepwell sockets won't work, use a wrench to take it off and put the new one on. That way you won't break the new one.

keep'em flying!
yellow3800

Post by yellow3800 »

Before replacing the computer, [I advocate used computers, KNOW your numbers... the computer [excluding chip] has a service no that needs to be matched]... use ebay as a reference... you will find that the computer is in like 30 cars.

CHECK ALL CIRCUITS on fuse #1. Suspect relays because they are the mechanical parts of the system. check solenoids [I have no idea whats on this fuse circuit w/out looking]. see if that gauge mingles into that fuse #1 for pwr, gnd, or reference signal.

How do we know there is not a weak gnd off the Variable Speed Sensor? or a moisture-laden wire? I'd definitely check those. and if that ses light is on, what are the codes?

andy