O2 Sensor

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...

O2 Sensor

Post by Guest »

Hey everybody, I have a 96 Z26 with the 3100 engine and I see the oxygen sensor, but its hard to get to. Is it a big job to take out the old one and put a new one in? What tools do I need? Should I take it to a shop?? Please, any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

O2 Sensor

Post by Guest »

No it's real easy the best bet is to buy an O2 socket it's like 10.00 its a socket w/ a groove cut into it so the harness dosen't get dammaged. when I changed mine I used that socket a swivel and a few long extention bars prob about 15 min. tops. When you put the new one in be sure theres anti-sieze on the threads. makes it easier next time.

1988GTU

O2 Sensor

Post by 1988GTU »

This is what 2Tone is talking about:

_________
-------------

O2 Sensor

Post by Guest »

Yep oh and auto zone does rent them if you don't want to buy.

O2 Sensor

Post by Guest »

When I got my 96 Z26 scanned today at autozone, the code P0141 came up. . .and it said O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction. (Bank 1 Sensor 2). So what exactly does this mean? Just get a whole new O2 sensor right?

1988GTU

O2 Sensor

Post by 1988GTU »

For that bank yes.

_________
-------------
rweatherford

O2 Sensor

Post by rweatherford »

That or there is a problem in the wiring.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

O2 Sensor

Post by Guest »

I have a stubby short ratchet w/elbow that works great with the oxygen sensor socket.  It's good for tight spots where you need to turn, but need the handle facing up.  Also make sure you put some anti-seize on the threads of the new o2 sensor.  It'll help alot when the time comes to take it out again.  And, it's MUCH easier to get the o2 sensor out if it's warm.  Warm the car up for a few minutes before trying to remove it.  You can actually cause damage if you do it when it's cold.  And, you might injure yourself if you do it when it's real hot.