All metal 3100 Lower Intake Manifold Gaskets!

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
IsaacHayes

Post by IsaacHayes »

When I last replaced my LIM gaskets for the 2nd time this past November, I thought if someone invented ones made of metal they'd be rich. Well Felpro & I must think alike, as they now offer full metal ones. (plastic breaks/melts/shifts and the rubber seals then are not held in place and leak. Metal won't shift, therefore problem solved).

The price may seem high at ~$98, but it's not much over the normal plastic kit (~$40-$60) and you won't have to do this whole big procedure again in a year or two, so it saves you time and money in the long run.

The part numbers are as follows:
Fel Pro MS98004T 1994-1999 VIN M 3100 (Stock 94-96 Berettas)
Fel Pro MS98003T 2000+ VIN J 3100 & VIN E 3400. (for those who have swapped motors/intakes)

It comes as a kit and includes: LIM gaskets, UIM gaskets, valve cover gaskets, water pump coolant pipe o-ring, and a tube of RTV.

Remember to follow the instructions exactly using a good torque wrench and follow the order pattern of torqueing the bolts. Clean the threads of the bolts and use medium (blue) thread locker.

You will also need to get: a new oil pump drive shaft o-ring (sometimes called distrb gasket), and the gasket that goes underneath the top of it (I think this is a new dealer only part, and helps further stop oil leaks), EGR & TB gaskets depending if you take them off/re-use the EGR gasket. You'll also need oil/coolant, and will need the coolant line quick disconnect as it always breaks and leaks. I don't take the injectors or fuel rail off the LIM, but if you do you'll need new o-rings and lube and install them properly, you don't want an engine fire. I think that is the main stuff you'll need. You'll want to clean out the EGR passage way in the UIM and do any other cleaning while you're here. Perhaps P&P or now would be the time to get a gasket for the 2000+ 3400/3100 and put those intakes on instead of your stockers! (note EGR valve adapter would be needed)

** A leaky LIM gasket can ruin a motor really fast if it leaks coolant on the inside of the motor. If it leaks outside it can do damage as well, not to mention the car won't run well if it develops a vacuum leak. **

=== GM has a revised gasket, BUT: ===
1. It is only avalible for the 2000+ 3100/3400 VIN J/E
2. It still is plastic, with metal tabs near the cooling jackets to prevent it from crushing in that area. There are reports of them still failing. The plastic just isn't good enough to stand up against the heat cycles of the engine, and it's rumored that dexcool can attack the plastic and speed up the process of failure.

By going to full metal it won't crack, move, expand or shift and will hold the rubber (silicone?) o-ring like seals around the intake ports and cooling jackets perfectly.

I felt this was important as my car is on it's 3rd LIM gasket, and it's all too common and annoying.

Image Image 2010 project (click pic)
1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles.
16.0 @ 84.41mph when stock. Now ???
Original L82 w/LA1, LX9, & LX5 parts!!!

soon to be OBD1 tuned...
heavywoody
Global Moderator

Post by heavywoody »

This is good to know. I assume there are still rubber seals on the gasket, it's just now all metal instead of some metal, and some plastic.

Good deal.

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
IsaacHayes

Post by IsaacHayes »

Right still rubber/silicone inserts, but instead of plastic that holds them, it's metal.

By the way, I never have replaced my valve cover gaskets. Each time I've re-used them and they never leaked. The stock ones seem to be made of silicone. I have metal valve covers, and my motor has 180k on it now.

Image Image 2010 project (click pic)
1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles.
16.0 @ 84.41mph when stock. Now ???
Original L82 w/LA1, LX9, & LX5 parts!!!

soon to be OBD1 tuned...