Car is running strange

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...

Car is running strange

Post by Guest »

About a week ago, my ses light came on. The code said that cylinder 5 was misfiring. Well, the light went back off. Now, when I drive my car sometimes, it will feel like Im running out of gas when Im trying to accelerate. It chugs. But it goes away after driving the car for about 8 min. Whats wrong? Does the car just need a tune up or what? Sensors? Please, any help would be appreciated.

96 Z26 3100

gtuturbo

Car is running strange

Post by gtuturbo »

Maybe the cylinder is misfiring. What's the plug look like?

Paul Keller
1988 Chevrolet Beretta GTU (turbocharged) (bought new in August 1988)
1966 Oldsmobile Cutlass Convertible
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT
2017 Kia Sorento V6 AWD
2017 GMC Acadia SLE-1
Twitch21

Car is running strange

Post by Twitch21 »

You mean it sort of jumps on accell? When I had that it was an intake leak. Sucked extra air = bad air/fuel mixture = computer compinsates = chug-a-lug.

'88 Beretta GT
5 Speed
2.8L
Stock everything except the sound system.
rweatherford

Car is running strange

Post by rweatherford »

Check the plugs.  If any of them have deposits on them I would suspect a leaking intake manifold gasket.  Get it fixed ASAP or you risk ruining the engine due to coolant contamination of the oil system.

This is a common problem on 3X00 based engines.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

96BlackRoseZ26

Car is running strange

Post by 96BlackRoseZ26 »

My 96 exhibited the same symptoms you are describing, and this was after replacing the intake manifold gaskets.  When I did that job, I had put in Bosch Platinum plugs and new wires, and had run for between 3-5K miles before it started happening.  The GM Tech-II tool showed a lot of misfires on a couple of cylinders so I pulled the plugs and checked them.  The center electrode on the plugs was eaten away.  As it turns out, other people with GM's electronic ignition had run into similar problems.  They were saying that the spark was too hot, and that it was causing the platinum from the center electrode, to burn away.  Sure enough, I was able to stick a needle down inside the porcelain where the electrode should have been.  Of course, if the electrode is getting chewed away, the spark gap is going to increase, and then it starts running like crap.  I put the AC Delco platinum plugs that were supposed to be in the car in, and haven't had any problems since.  Might be worth checking out, but I would definitely start at plugs and wires.

Have you ever felt like you were flying, but didn't have wings?

Jerry Bickley
02 Navy Blue Metallic Monte Carlo SS
3800 V6/4-Speed Auto

Car is running strange

Post by Guest »

I had the same problem also - was a bad coil pack.