WinALDL

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...

WinALDL

Post by Guest »

Hey all -

I am getting tired of my beretta taking 2-3 seconds to start when turning over... I picked up this laptop and the winALDL software to tap into the OBDI computer; today I'm going to solder-up the cable.

Has anyone else had success with this particular program? I didn't see my W-engine computer p/n listed as a supported computer, but am going to try and hack it anyway.

Please let me know your experiences - I am very interested to hear back from you!

rweatherford

WinALDL

Post by rweatherford »

I'm not sure what you mean by W-engine.  Perhaps I am forgetting.  Is that the engine code in the VIN?

The Beretta is an L-body.

Anyway I would guess you should check the fuel pressure during key on and cranking.

Barry Stubbs may have tried that program on his 2.8L Z24.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

RebelGT

WinALDL

Post by RebelGT »

I've used FreeScan that Andy Whitaker wrote, it works on the 3.1's and some other chevys.

WinALDL

Post by Guest »

OK - I loaded winALDL onto my laptop, made the acble outlined on the winALDL website, and had no dice. Nuthin'. So, I'll try the Free one you mention above.

But, Guys, my computer has botht the MAF and MAP... isn't this wehy only the 88 berettas with manual were successfully turboed by Design1 and others in Canada? Those guys MUST have access to the computer otherwise they wouldn't be able to sell a turbo without a second thought. ANyone know who I'm talking about? It seems that every other program out there is for an F-body or later engine with SFI... which is why it may work on your later 3.1L.

Anyhow, I'll try the free one and see what comes up.

gtuturbo

WinALDL

Post by gtuturbo »

(micah @ Dec. 20 2005,15:16)Q
U
O
T
EBut, Guys, my computer has botht the MAF and MAP... isn't this wehy only the 88 berettas with manual were successfully turboed by Design1 and others in Canada? Those guys MUST have access to the computer otherwise they wouldn't be able to sell a turbo without a second thought. ANyone know who I'm talking about? It seems that every other program out there is for an F-body or later engine with SFI... which is why it may work on your later 3.1L.

Anyhow, I'll try the free one and see what comes up.
No, the other Berettas weren't designed to have a turbo because there was no market for them. They didn't warrant a prom burn from Design1 . The concept never garnished any interest back then. ÂÂÂ

Paul Keller
1988 Chevrolet Beretta GTU (turbocharged) (bought new in August 1988)
1966 Oldsmobile Cutlass Convertible
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT
2017 Kia Sorento V6 AWD
2017 GMC Acadia SLE-1
rweatherford

WinALDL

Post by rweatherford »

BTW Paul's car has the only Design One turbo system I have ever seen in over 12 years of Beretta ownership.

Rex Weatherford

wicked-irocz

WinALDL

Post by wicked-irocz »

Does anyone know of a program that will work with my beretta to read the datastream?

94 Beretta Z26 57,4xx miles
3100, auto, crank windows, power locks/trunk, A/C,
To many mods to list
-intercooler :shock:

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo

WinALDL

Post by Guest »

four words, gm code key, autozone, free, code book.

rweatherford

WinALDL

Post by rweatherford »

Paper clip and internet search will give you codes.  He is wanting more information during run time.

Rex Weatherford

wicked-irocz

WinALDL

Post by wicked-irocz »

(wicked-irocz @ Dec. 22 2005,19:42)Q
U
O
T
EDoes anyone know of a program that will work with my beretta to read the datastream?
So the question still stands. Im looking to read the datastream using a laptop on my beretta.  I have yet to find a program and cable combo that will for sure work.  I have looked at GMECM, Freescan, winALDL, and many others.  I spent atleast 5 hours searching the internet and emailing finding nothing better than "it might work".  Im wanting to do this for under $100 and it must work for both my beretta and my iroc-z.  If anyone has information, please let me know.

To many mods to list

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo

WinALDL

Post by Guest »

Hey there. I just looked up some info on diy-efi.com and found that my 88GT uses GM ECM 1227730, which is supported by quite a few people. If yours is an 88, you might be golden. Apprently a few other guys support this computer as well. They do some PROM burning, among other things like removing the speed limiter. I think 5 hours is really on the low side of how much time you will spend getting into the particulars with your GM ECM. Prepare to learn a few things about hexadecimals.

Regarding previous posts: I am not looking for trouble codes at autozone; thanks. I know the Beretta is an L-body, and yes, the engine is a W. I've heard that if a coolant sensor fails to give a good readout, then the ECM waits to give the plugs spark until the oil pressure sender reads a few psi. This makes sense for me as the only sensor I have replaced in 215000 miles is the oil pressure sender... Also,I remember calling Design1 and asking about the beretta system back when they actually still advertised the system on their website; all I got was an a-hole telling me they didn't have ANY part left in the shop from the red Beretta pictured. The prick really turned me off of trying a turbo.

a fe more things about he ALDL: I found that the cable may actually have to use a MAXIM232 chip instead of a few resistors and a NPN transistor. I did make a cable with an NPN and a few resitors, as the fella advertising the free WinALDL software described. I didn't get any data to my laptop ( Dummy mistake - I didn't even look up my ECM p/n before tonight to see that WinALDL isn't compatable without defining the data stream from the ECU).

More to come....

wicked-irocz

WinALDL

Post by wicked-irocz »

I have a 94 like my sig says and it has a non removable prom.  I have already worked with hexadecimals and have done C++ programing.  the 5 hours was trying to find a program and a cable, as I just want to read the datastream because my style ECU has yet to be programed.  Yes, you will need the chip cable, I think its 88 and newer switched over to baud 8192 insteed of baud 160

To many mods to list

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo