GM Parts dealer? codes?

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
Geoff

GM Parts dealer? codes?

Post by Geoff »

Ok...I went to a chevy dealer today to see what kind of transmission I have for my still troublesome tranny.

They took my VIN#, ran to see what kind of tranny I have...it couldnt tell them/me anything except that if I found 4 letters showing OXEX - it was an original tranny that came with the car and also that it gave me an RPO code of "MY5", that doesnt show up on any searches anywhere.

does anyone know what the hell an MY5 is?

It's not a muncie, that a HM28 or something like that and an izuzu isnt that code either. gettrag wasnt listed on the gm computer, but nobody knows...

any help?

heavywoody
Global Moderator

GM Parts dealer? codes?

Post by heavywoody »

Wow... you have the same first name as me, and I graduated from WMU 2 years ago. Crazy.

What year/model/engine do you have in your car? If it's a 2.0 or 2.2 4cyl, chances are it's an Isuzu trans. If it's a 2.3 Quad 4 cyl, it's a Getrag transmission. If it's a V6, it's the HM-282 Getrag.

I'm not sure about this, but I think the 94+ 2.2 5spds were the newer style NV550 transmissions...

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
Geoff

GM Parts dealer? codes?

Post by Geoff »

Hey, well i just moved down here from Mt. Pleasant ( went to CMU for two years)

anyway it';s a 1990 GTZ with the 2.3L Quad 4 engine. I'm 90% sure it's the original tranny.

anyway I've had ppl on here, dealers and ppl I know tell me it's one of the 3....dealers say it's a muncie/getrag, advance auto and autozone say izuzu, my best friend who owns two, says it's an izuzu... ppl on here have said muncie.

so...not sure? the dealer with his codes said it wasn't a muncie, nor izuzu but couldnt prove it was a getrag. but im guessing it a gettrag after thinking about it. problem is....the only two cables you can get is the motormite shift selector cable (which allows you to go into and out of 1st,2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th to reverse...basically forward and back) and the other is the thinner shift lever cable which takes you out of 1st and lets you choose to get into like 5th gear ( it's basically  left and right). and the left and right lever cable says on www.advanceautoparts.com lists it as "izuzu" and the other (forward and back cable) is listed as a "getrag cable" so...no help there.

I'm so close to just selling it. I need a car and something with tranny background and or another 5 spd that'll fit fit the quad four engine.

so if anyones interested I live off of exit 38A - west main, on US. 131 in Michigan.

I found a nissan NX2000 (like a mazda mx3) I want for $1700. I just need a car that wont break a cable every 2 weeks to a month!!

heavywoody
Global Moderator

GM Parts dealer? codes?

Post by heavywoody »

Came to WMU from CMU? Man, talk about rivalry shifting!

The reason you are breaking cables is probably due to the fact that you are purchasing non-GM ones. I've heard this many times before... and I can understand why. Lots of times aftermarket parts are not nearly as well made as OE stuff is... and these shift cables are no exception. When I did my 5spd swap in my Z26, I purchased brand new cables from the dealership... yeah, it may have been more expensive than ones at Advanced or Autozone, but I know these won't break... and if they do, I have a 12K/12month warranty on the part. Haven't had a problem yet... knock on wood!  

Your car should have the Getrag/Muncie transmission...

Geoff
Geoff

GM Parts dealer? codes?

Post by Geoff »

well Finally a good answer. I do get a 1 year warranty, so far I've only been getting replacments for free everytime. This time I'm going with Napa...if it doesnt work, then I'll buy a GM one, I promise. it almsot seems like the cable part wrapped in the thin platic **** is melting into the metal cable bonding it (what happend last time, didnt bind just got stuck) making it melted and not able to move back and forth, do you know what the advance/autozone cables look like? they are alot thinner than the getrag shift selector one (which is thick as a bob evans sausage link) the other is thinner than a pencil. anyway is your GM factory cable thicker and more study than the aftermarket one?

I would have ordered one from the dealer I went too a day ago but I couldnt see a picture so I wasnt going to spend 161.57 on a cable that was a GM replica of what the advance one looked like...I know they all look the same but it could be bigger, stronger, thicker etc...

Let me know...last ?

rweatherford

GM Parts dealer? codes?

Post by rweatherford »

GM is the way to go.  

Checking my little cheat code book.....

MY5 is the NVG tranny (New Venture Gear) I wonder if this is a replacement code.  I'm pretty sure it is the code that was on my 92.  I'll have to search a little......

For some reason I can't find my old code document from my GTZ...  

Anywho.....  you should have a 3.61 final drive ratio Getrag with an external slave cylinder.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

heavywoody
Global Moderator

GM Parts dealer? codes?

Post by heavywoody »

I'm not sure if all the shift cables are the same from Quad Getrag to V6 Getrag, but I should have the P/N for the cables I bought from the dealer around here someplace. I'll see if I can dig them up tomorrow.

Geoff
Geoff

GM Parts dealer? codes?

Post by Geoff »

thanks guys, these are awesome answers..very helpful. I will check back tomorrow and see what else you could dig up.

heavywoody
Global Moderator

GM Parts dealer? codes?

Post by heavywoody »

Ok, here's the part numbers for the two cables, I can't tell you which one is which (front to back or side to side).

These were ordered for an 89 GT 2.8L 5spd manual (Getrag) transmission.

10186821 CABLE ASM $141.22
10186818 CABLE ASM $188.85

Those were the list prices, not what I paid for them, just to give you an idea of what they cost. If you know someone at a dealership, then maybe they can hook you up with dealer pricing (that's what I got, and saved about $75). Those prices were as of 4/26/05, so they might be higher now.

Hope this helps Geoff!

Geoff
Geoff

GM Parts dealer? codes?

Post by Geoff »

Hey Geoff, thanks much. but heres the thing

I found a junkyard yesterday...an 93 beretta GT 5spd with a 3.1 v6 in it...I took opff the cables, the gearshift and the nylon plate with the lil metal ball, all the swap out with my GTZ...the only problem is the GT cables have big black ciurcle bushings on the end, my gtz cables have the oval white caps...so I needed to pretty much change out the tranny shift plates in the engine bay and the gearshift control center in the cockpit, I got it all done, only to realize the shift plate on the GT is warped from the crash and wont work. SO! I'm guessing since the cables you got were for a GT it would have to be the same also.

so I'm pretty much out of luck...these aftermarket cables keep melting and shrink wrapping the cbale so it wont move. I cant afford the GM cables right now...Im a college kid, trying to move into an apartment and fix my car all at the same time while only getting 13 hrs a week!.

so.. Damn