vent and blower issue

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
scott91gtz

vent and blower issue

Post by scott91gtz »

i have a 91 with a quad 4. the problem im having is that my blower motor seems to be blowing hard, but barely anything is coming out of the vents. all of the speeds work, and it DOES change where its blowing when i change it from vent to defrost or whatever, just not very much seems to come out. it seems to me that there would be something keeping the doors from opening all the way but i have no idea of where to look.
thanks for your help
scott

91 gtz -  quad 4 - 5 speed
89 gt - 3.1 - auto
93 gt - 3.1 - auto
Money pit Beretta

vent and blower issue

Post by Money pit Beretta »

I don't know much about this. I had to look it up in the Chilton's manual. All that I got from it is that you would have to take out everything to check to see what's wrong. There is a temp,heater/defrost and something called a mode valve, they are all together. Other than that stuff all I can come up with is that leaves or pine needles(or dash padding) has somehow made it's way into the ducts. Sorry that I'm not much help. Oh yea, there are vac actuators for the mode and heat/defrost. Also it does say to disable the airbag on 91-92 with A/C.

keep'em flying!
Asylum

vent and blower issue

Post by Asylum »

Take the blower motor out (it's on the firewall, passenger side) and you'll be amazed at how much crap is likely in the housing.

Reach way in and clean it all out.

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
Luckymc420

vent and blower issue

Post by Luckymc420 »

(asylummotorsports @ Nov. 27 2007,09:17)QUOTETake the blower motor out (it's on the firewall, passenger side) and you'll be amazed at how much crap is likely in the housing.

Reach way in and clean it all out.
Yup Yup very true!!!

Project B!

1991 5-Speed Beretta with a 2002 3400 OBDII In progress.....
scott91gtz

vent and blower issue

Post by scott91gtz »

ya i already pulled the blower motor and its pretty clean down there. im just wondering if anyone knows exactly where the doors are... i really dont wanna pull everything apart if i dont have to.

89 gt - 3.1 - auto
93 gt - 3.1 - auto
Money pit Beretta

vent and blower issue

Post by Money pit Beretta »

The valves seem to be on top of the heater core(there is a lower cover for the core and a upper for the valves). If you can get to the actuators in the back I would try to test them or check the lines. I guess you could check to see if they hold vacuum. Other than that I'd take it to a shop. The actuators are on the drivers side they open the valves. Update: I looked at my car without taking off anything and saw an actuator on the passenger side and nothing on the drivers side(my car is a 90 though). It was up by the glovebox.

keep'em flying!
Jeff P

vent and blower issue

Post by Jeff P »

Most of the time when you get hardly any air through your vents it is caused by a buildup of junk on the evaporator core (which is above the heater core).  You can get to it by removing the blower motor and housing in the engine bay, or by removing the heater core inside the vehicle, then the evaporator core.  If your A/C is charged, you'll have to go with the first option.  I wouldn't even mess with all the vacuum tubes, valves, motors, etc. if you don't have to.

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi
scott91gtz

vent and blower issue

Post by scott91gtz »

ya you were right jeff. i took off the blowermotor and housing today, and the evaporator core was just loaded up with crap.  so i cleaned it up the best i could, and now it blows friekin hard. finally i got heat!! it was startin to get to me cuz its been below 0 degrees celcius here for a bit now. thanks a lot for your help. too bad it took me so long to finally get a chance to pull it apart tho.
scott

89 gt - 3.1 - auto
93 gt - 3.1 - auto
Jeff P

vent and blower issue

Post by Jeff P »

Heh awesome Scott, glad it's fixed!  Freezing blows

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned: