Defrost blows thru vent

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
eZ-26Rider

Defrost blows thru vent

Post by eZ-26Rider »

95 z26-stock. When I turn on the defrost most (90%) of the air blows thru the vents, as does every other setting goes thru the vents. The off function works ironically. The blower works good hi, med, low. Checked connections to blower motor and looked ok. Any other suggestions? I looked on the back of the heater control knob, looks to be all electric I thought there might be a vaccum line loose somewhere. Thanks for any insights.

Michael

rweatherford

Defrost blows thru vent

Post by rweatherford »

The temp control is electric, but I was thinking that the air control was vacuum actuated.  I know it is on the older interior.

If it is vacuum actuated then there are several things that can be checked.  First would be at the valve itself and then all the hoses.  There is a supply line that comes from the engine too.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

Defrost blows thru vent

Post by Guest »

Hey, I had that problem on my Beretta as well, 95 base with the 3100.  Turned out to be a vacuum line.  Just look in the engine compartment, look toward the back of the driver's side of the engine compartment.  You should see a small grey line, that would be the vacuum line.  Trace that around, and see if there are any breaks in it anywhere.  If there are, simple fix.  Go to an auto parts store, take a piece of the line with you, and go look at their fuel lines.  Then just slide that smaller piece of vacuum line into the fuel lines, find one it fits into snugly, and get yourself a length of that, maybe a dollar or so?  I think it was not much more than that for me.  Then just connect the busted lines in your car with the fuel line, and viola.

eZ-26Rider

Defrost blows thru vent

Post by eZ-26Rider »

Hey UPCguy25 Thanks for the info! I have seen that gray wire many times, but was unsure what it was for, now I know. As your suggestion fixed the problem. Turns out I found the wire was broke where it makes the turn by the battery and also looked like battery acid corroded some of it. Cut it all out and replaced with some regular vaccum line hose and it works great now! Thanks.

Defrost blows thru vent

Post by Guest »

Not a problem.  With mine, just some of that fuel line to connect it back together and some plastic fittings got it going again.  Cheap fix.  Glad it worked out.

IsaacHayes

Defrost blows thru vent

Post by IsaacHayes »

Same thing happened to mine. Battery acid ate it.

Image Image 2010 project (click pic)
1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles.
16.0 @ 84.41mph when stock. Now ???
Original L82 w/LA1, LX9, & LX5 parts!!!

soon to be OBD1 tuned...

Defrost blows thru vent

Post by Guest »

check your vacuum feed hose connection under the hood. small hose white coming out of firewall near pass front firewall (by hood hinge) probably got cut by hinge

Defrost blows thru vent

Post by Guest »

This one worked for me too -- my car had been blowing through the vents only for the past couple weeks too.  I went to the junkyard and got a new heater control panel, but it did nothing.

After searching up here for no more than 10 minutes, I found this -- my vacuum line was broken right by the battery too.  10-second fix.

Thanks for the good info..

-Dave