New Quad 4 engine low on power

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...

Post by Guest »

Today was my first test drive with my GTZ. I replaced the engine with a factory tested Quad 4 with around 40000 miles on the clock. The car wouldn`t start because of a low battery. We then pushed the car and let the clutch fly in order to start the Beretta ( I know, not the best idea). After that procedure, the ABS light and handbrake light suddenly came on. Otherwise the car ran fine. As we came onto the motorway I realized that the car hesitated to rev past 5000 rpm. It would rev to nearly 7000 rpm but quite slowly, not like a Quad 4 usually does. Could it be that the car has an internal failure code due to push starting it and this would occur in power loss at higher RPM? The engine otherwise runs fine and like a new one with no vibrations or any other problems.

rweatherford

Post by rweatherford »

I'd charge the battery, reset the ECM and try again.  I doubt that is the problem, but worth trying.

Are you sure your exhaust or intake isn't plugged up?

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

Post by Guest »

I charged the battery and installed it again. Now the dash board lights have all disappeared. Everything`s fine there now.

I reved up the car again after warming it up for about 15 minutes and it drove quite well this time. The car sat in a garage for over a year and the used engine also about that long. I noticed that my exhaust system (standard original) makes a bit of a rattling sound, expecially under full accelaration.

Post by Guest »

Eventually I will just burn out the catalytic converter.

rweatherford

Post by rweatherford »

Just keep an eye on it.  Some of that converter might plug up the exhaust pipe or just stay inside the muffler and plug it up.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)