Multiple Problems

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
Schuby

Multiple Problems

Post by Schuby »

Hey guys, trying to fix up my car so I can use it as long as possible before buying a new one.  I love this car to death (it was my first car about four years ago) so any help is appreciated!

Ok I have the following problems:

-E-Brake no longer 'clicks' or stays in place.  What could it be?  It still works if its held up, but it wont stay.

-Odometer stopped rolling.  It's stuck on a month old mileage, hard to diagnose my MPG without it (tripodometer is broken beyond belief, I don't think thats ever going to be fixed)

-Power locks aren't working.  The actuators were replaced, but I just think the locks are to tough to move for the actuator.

-Heater isn't working.  I'm going to attempt the 'little black box' trick this weekend to test the wiring.

-Window wipers aren't moving properly.  If the setting is set to high, the wipers move an inch up, then back down, and repeats.  It's trying, but it ain't moving!

I believe that's it for now.  I'm hoping to spiffy up this car.  If you think the issues I have aren't worth fixing, let me know, I'm a poor college student and I can't spend a ton of money into fixing this 17 year old car

1990 Chevrolet Beretta GTZ (RED)  
Money pit Beretta

Multiple Problems

Post by Money pit Beretta »

My wiper motor went out once. I tested it with two wires, one hot and one ground from the battery.

keep'em flying!
Jeff P

Multiple Problems

Post by Jeff P »

Hey Marcus, it sounds like your e-brake button is broken or the return spring is missing.  For the odometer/trip odometer problem, you probably need a new cluster or whatever actually drives those things (I can't picture the inside of the cluster right now)...at least you don't have to worry about the vehicle speed sensor or wires being the problem in this case, as your speedometer wouldn't be working either.  I'm actually having the same problem you're experiencing with the door lock actuators...not sure how you lube the latches to loosen them up.  You could try some actuators from a newer Beretta (up to 93 I think), to at least have something that might be in better working order.  As far as your windshield wipers, that sounds like a motor problem, specifically the circuit board inside.  But you can try swapping out the switch before replacing the motor.

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi
90_Black_GTZ

Multiple Problems

Post by 90_Black_GTZ »

I used some graphite lube on all the areas where the actuator rods rub and made sure everything was cleared out.  After that mine have worked flawlessly for a couple of years. ÂÂÂ

I agree with the e-brake someone said earlier.  I've replaced my handle/spring/button a number of times on my car.  Junkyard.

Heater.  Is it not blowing at all?  Might just be the blower motor.  Easy fix.  New isn't too expensive.

Can you hear the wiper motor move the whole time you have them turned on, or does it only make a noise during that small movement? ÂÂÂ
Either way it just might be easier to simply replace the wiper motor.  Junkyard.

90 Black GTZ (I am the original owner since May 5, 1990)
187,000 miles
Money pit Beretta

Multiple Problems

In the for sale area Luckymc420 has a wiper motor for sale, it's for a newer car and I'm not sure if it will work on your car, but he only wants 5 bucks.

keep'em flying!
Schuby

Multiple Problems

Post by Schuby »

(90_Black_GTZ @ Dec. 07 2007,09:37)QUOTEI used some graphite lube on all the areas where the actuator rods rub and made sure everything was cleared out.  After that mine have worked flawlessly for a couple of years.  

I agree with the e-brake someone said earlier.  I've replaced my handle/spring/button a number of times on my car.  Junkyard.

Heater.  Is it not blowing at all?  Might just be the blower motor.  Easy fix.  New isn't too expensive.

Can you hear the wiper motor move the whole time you have them turned on, or does it only make a noise during that small movement?  
Either way it just might be easier to simply replace the wiper motor.  Junkyard.
It doesn't blow hot air unfortunately.

And is there some sort of How To for fixing the ebrake?  I'm not quite sure how to replace it.

HateMyAuto

Multiple Problems

Post by HateMyAuto »

For the e brake you just need to take off the center console, there are roughly six screws involved in this. Take out the screws in the bottom of the storage bin, then take out the ashtray and move back towards the storage bin taking out screws. Once you get the console off, the handle is pretty simple to figure out.

As for the lack of hot air, the only thing I can think of is coolant isn't getting to the heater core. See if you can feel heat from the car when the car is warmed up, or out of the floor vents. If not, then make sure you have enough coolant, and check to feed and return lines for the heater core to make sure they aren't leaking/clogged up. If not, maybe the core is clogged, try to blow air through it or something. When disconnecting  them from the core, make sure you don't break the plastic on the core. It can be very brittle and quite easy to break.

'96 Z26 Now with 10% more displacement
'94 Camaro
Schuby

Multiple Problems

Post by Schuby »

I believe the wiper problem is my motor, on low it does a full rotation but on high it turns have way and strugles, then makers a weird noise, then turns halfway again.

Haven't checked the heater yet.

Haven't worked on the eBrake yet.

Still looking for a 1990 instrument cluster.

I need to lube up the actuating components still.

I also did a couple of enhancements here and there to make the car more viable for re-sale.

Money pit Beretta

Multiple Problems

Are you sure you want to sell? I would think it would be cheaper to fix what you have. You know what is wrong with this one.

keep'em flying!
Jeff P

Multiple Problems

Post by Jeff P »

Since the problem with the e-brake is probably just the button (which has a spring already on it), you can just remove the phillips screw from the e-brake handle, slide the handle off, pull the spring out of the slot in the metal, and pull out the button assembly.  Slide the bottom of the new button assembly down in the slot until it stops, then installation is the reverse of removal.  The button assembly actually sits on a little metal piece that rotates like a see-saw.  The end of the metal piece should be facing upward so that the button assembly rests on it (the other end of the metal piece is what actually locks the e-brake in the up position).  If it is facing down instead, the button has no place to sit (which actually could be the problem right now).

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi
Money pit Beretta

Multiple Problems

Did you get any work done?

keep'em flying!
Schuby

Multiple Problems

Post by Schuby »

(Money pit Beretta @ Dec. 21 2007,19:11)QUOTEDid you get any work done?
I actually figured out the E Brake, I need to find a spare one somewhere.

Wiper motor is ordered.

I ordered a new cluster for the odometer problem.

Heater I still can't figure out...

And the door locks just need some lube.

Money pit Beretta

Multiple Problems

Sounds good so far. Man my door locks got hung up or something. My passenger door would not stay closed, if you pushed,it would open. Then I got it to stay shut and then it didn't open untill it warmed up the next day. I couldn't unlock it from the outside or the inside.

keep'em flying!