Coolant Temp

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
flamingothicsnake

Coolant Temp

Post by flamingothicsnake »

Heres the thing, we JUST got done with my engine swap!!! HORRAY!!! Now... to get insurance on it and drive it... anyways. So, idling in the driveway, i can't get the coolant temp gauge to even twitch. The switch was new, from the other engine though. (bought it for the other engine, but never solved my problem before) It used to partially move up to just past the little square before. I know the sensor is hooked up, but when unplugged, my cooling fan turns on... plugged in, off... (no, i have no idea if thats supposed to happen that way, but i would assume not). Now, my dash is a little messed up, my rpm gauge sits higher than it should, an the coolant gauge has never worked right, not sure if its a sensor issue or the dash, but the dash was re-wired by... SOMONE... and its all screwed to h-e-l-l. okay, ANY IDEAs? i'm at witts end... and i'd kinda like to know before i start driving it, so i don't end up with steam under my hood.... Thanks!
~Checker Chick~

~Sammie Jo~
83 Chevy Monte Carlo- 350/350 turbo
87 Chevy Beretta- 2.8L
88 Chevy Beretta- 2.8L
90 Olds Cutlass Ciera- 2.5L
92 Ford F250- 351 Winsor
Money pit Beretta

Coolant Temp

Post by Money pit Beretta »

What did you swap in? The temp sensor may not be the right one for that engine. As you say it never worked right, so I would think it's the dash. Check for a grounding or cut in the wires. Where does the tach sit when the key is just turned to "on"? I got to ask, is there any way that you could use another color for your text(it's hard to read)?

keep'em flying!
Asylum

Coolant Temp

Post by Asylum »

It's almost IMPOSSIBLE to read!

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
SuzukiGhostRider

Coolant Temp

Post by SuzukiGhostRider »

If you're sure everything is wired between sensor and gauge pod correctly, I would say you need a new gauge pod. GL.

cramez

Coolant Temp

Post by cramez »

(asylummotorsports @ Oct. 10 2008,07:26)QUOTEIt's almost IMPOSSIBLE to read!
Fixed...

Also, If you highlight the text it'll make it white text in a blue background, a little easier to read.

2002 Monte Carlo SS - Daily Driver
1984 Z28 - 355/5-speed
1978 Jeep CJ-5 Renegade
1955 house - sucks up all the car money

Ebay Beretta Parts (changes weekly): http://motors.shop.ebay.com/cramez/m.html?...from=&_ipg=
yellow3800

Coolant Temp

Post by yellow3800 »

Put the old parts back in the system.  ...providing it worked before.  Did it?  put those old sensors back in, maybe we can isolate a switch for a gauge sender unit, but usually that would make the gauge read HIGHEST if I remember correctly.

Other than that, the car harness needs no re-wiring.  If this doesn't do it. START THERE.  Get wire codes out, and start tracing!

Andy

flamingothicsnake

Coolant Temp

Update: Got the gauge to work. the sensor on the back of the head was bad. but then we had the issue of (according to the gauge) it supposidly overheating in about 5 minutes from a dead cold. Had a buddy come over with one of those fancy temp lazer thingys and well... i either got a bad ground or my gauge cluster is bad, and i'm voting for the cluster. I got the engine outa a 89 olds supreme (2.8L). Anyone know how to re-wire the whole dash? thats one of my next missions. the previous owner bypassed the dimmer relay or SOMETHING... No idea what they did. all i know is the switch is good, but does not dim or brighten my dash. Its really hard to see how fast i'm going at night when i can't read it on the dash. ... Hmm... how hard is it to put in the heads up display?... too expensive! well, i still gotta make either this beretta run or my olds for winter, or i will be car-less. Talk to ya all later and thank you so much for replying.

~Sammie Jo~
87 Chevy Beretta- 2.8L
88 Chevy Beretta- 2.8L
92 Ford F250- 351 Winsor
Money pit Beretta

Coolant Temp

Post by Money pit Beretta »

On my 90 the contact was bad on the dimmer(the dome light was on all the time,not the same I know). Just in case that's it: I pulled it from the dash, took it apart and bent the copper tab down more and put some dielectric grease on the round board under the tab. Worked great and the lights in the dash were brighter after that.

keep'em flying!
flamingothicsnake

Coolant Temp

The other issue was that, i know the relay and sensor are good, but i have not had my cooling fan turn on yet. we can feel the thermostat open up, but then again i have not driven it since i did the engine swap... Boy am i lazy and broke... any ideas? if we unplug the coolant temp sensor the fan turns on...

~Sammie Jo~
87 Chevy Beretta- 2.8L
88 Chevy Beretta- 2.8L
92 Ford F250- 351 Winsor