Coolant disappearing?

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
niter3

Coolant disappearing?

Post by niter3 »

Ok, well here is a weird one for you. I'm loosing coolant, but it's not leaking and i'm almost sure it ain't burning. I had the car in the garage for a couple days and there is definately no leaks, but my coolant is going somewhere. I can't smell coolant burning if the heater is cranked on, or see any white smoke as if I blew a gasket. However, I'm loosing coolant and it's going somewhere. I'm thinkin maybe it's coming out of my overflow tank when driving?? Not sure..

Could somebody give me some advice?

Thanks

Coolant disappearing?

Post by Guest »

might be it, i dont have this problem, but i think  i have a leaky headgasket that needs to be changed, i think you might have a hole in the overflow tank. i know when i cleaned mine out there was alot of dried up radiator fluid inside

niter3

Coolant disappearing?

Post by niter3 »

I know that by the time my low coolant comes up, it's about a month after topping it off. So i'm loosing quite a bit and fast!

Coolant disappearing?

Post by Guest »

i want to know too! i will check this out for you. i need to find out why mine is doing that, i just did a radiator flush that might be the reason, i just turned the car on for like 2 minutes didnt even give it time to warm up. so i just turned it off and added water and went back inside. hope my brothers checking up on it.  i will see for you though. what about the thermastat? i had to get a new one and they have those little tiny seals on it that goes around the thermastat. any idea there? or could you tighten up the radiator hose clamps?

Brandon

IsaacHayes

Coolant disappearing?

Post by IsaacHayes »

check your oil cap. Is there white mayonaise looking stuff on it? If so it's leaking into your oil internally.

I had this happen when my first lower intake manifold went. Check it soon as it's bad for your bearings and can trash your motor.

Image Image 2010 project (click pic)
1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles.
16.0 @ 84.41mph when stock. Now ???
Original L82 w/LA1, LX9, & LX5 parts!!!

soon to be OBD1 tuned...
niter3

Coolant disappearing?

Post by niter3 »

Yah I'll check this out, but I'm sure it's fine. if however it is like this, what exactly needs to be fixed?

IsaacHayes

Coolant disappearing?

Post by IsaacHayes »

Well, you have a 90, so you don't have the 3100 intake gasket problems...

But it coudl be your lower intake gasket.. Or maybe headgasket? Not sure on that.
If you are burning it, you likely won't know if you have a cat on the car, as that will burn it up more so it don't smoke....

soon to be OBD1 tuned...

Coolant disappearing?

Post by Guest »

Check your automatic tranny fluid as well.It could be tranferring into the tranny cooler section of the radiator....again look for a pink coolaid look to the fluid.

rweatherford

Coolant disappearing?

Post by rweatherford »

If you corner hard it is possible for it to come out the coolant tank and dump on the tire.  The tube comes out  inside the inner fender.

I'd check all the suggestions listed above first.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

niter3

Coolant disappearing?

Post by niter3 »

Well, I've checked my coolant for any oil and it's completely green, but then again it's newer coolant. I've check the oil dipstick and the oil is solid brown, so I went ahead and smelt it for antifreeze. It definatley just smells like oil. I will check the tranny next.

Coolant disappearing?

Post by Guest »

check your rad(or coolant level cap) some times the seal gets old and cracks allowing steam to escape s/times

niter3

Coolant disappearing?

Post by niter3 »

Ok well I checked the tranny fluid and it's brown with a tint of red. Not a pink pink koolad look. I will check the seals on the caps next.

Coolant disappearing?

Post by Guest »

If it is cold up there in Canada, it could be from using your heater, here in ND/MN mine tends to eat up antifreeze more so in the winter when I use my heater!  No puddles of Coolant inside your car on the floor is there..maybe a heater Core!  I would say check all your hoses, clamps too, I had a clamp jump the track and it had a very slow leak, although there was antifreeze on the ground, but only when I dorve it quite a while, if it was a short trip it wouldn't lose any!  Good Luck finding the problem!

niter3

Coolant disappearing?

Post by niter3 »

I never thought of that. It very well could be that. I have noticed lately (I do have water leaks, but on the passenger side). I know that the heater core was supposed to be replaced a year and something ago. What are some signs of a heater core going? Will it make any noise? The heater that is?

Oh, I'd like to add in, I don't smell coolant AT ALL.

IsaacHayes

Coolant disappearing?

Post by IsaacHayes »

You'll smell the coolant when using your heater usualy when the heater core has a leak. I repalced mine and it had metal tubes instead of factory plastic.

Anyways, you need to check your oil FILL CAP. Like the thing you unscrew to add oil. That is where you will see the mayoniase. The dip stick won't show it.

soon to be OBD1 tuned...