Blinker Problem

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
Tegra54

Blinker Problem

Post by Tegra54 »

My blinkers were blinking sporattically the past week, and then all of the sudden they dont blink anymore.  when i turn them on, they stay solid.  

I checked and none of the bulbs are burnt out.  Is there some sort of mechanical soleniod that is sticking?

any suggestions to fix this?

-Pat
'94 Base 2.2 - Nothin' Special
rweatherford

Blinker Problem

Post by rweatherford »

Either a blinker relay or your turn signal switch.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

Tegra54

Blinker Problem

Post by Tegra54 »

thanks for the response

since the blinker turns off when i make a turn my guess would be the blinker relay....are there anyways i can check to verify this?

Also where is the blinker relay located?

thanks in advance!

-Pat
'94 Base 2.2 - Nothin' Special
metalheadchic3

Blinker Problem

Post by metalheadchic3 »

Dude, my '89 was doin the same exact thing, and then just stopped. I checked my bulbs and switched em around and still no change. I finally put a brand new bulb in and it turned out that the bulbs just weren't "seating" right in the socket. Might have been where the wires go in also, but I don't think so. It's been working just fine ever since.  

Angie
Jeff P

Blinker Problem

Post by Jeff P »

I know this is extremely late, but if it's affecting both sides then the most likely culprit is the turn signal flasher which is located on the convenience center on the driver's side inside the dash close to the steering column (I'm guessing that's where it is on a '94 also).  There are separate flashers for your turn signals and hazards, so I'm guessing your hazards still work.

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi
docrodg

Blinker Problem

Post by docrodg »

THe two most likely culprits are the relay (where Jeff P said it is) or the switch itself.  The switch may work mechanically but not electrically.  There are a couple of copper wipers that have to hit a metal pad to turn on the blinkers.  If the switch is moving and cancelling ok then the wipers may still be bad.  The relay is easy to check out and get to so check that first.  Then check the switch by probing the wires to the relay from the switch for voltage with the switch on.  If the voltage is intermittent then the switch is worn out or corroded in the contacts and you gotta pull the steering wheel to get to it and replace it.