need transmission shift cable help

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
1990quadgtz

Post by 1990quadgtz »

Hello there.  I'm really new to this site, though I've been here for about a year, just never registered.  I've been reading the wealth of information ya'll have provided.  But here's the problem - my son and I recently bought a 1990 GTZ with a quad four 5 speed.  This recently happened:  the shift cable that works the gears slipped off the arm on the transmission.  The cable has the round end and has the rubber/plastic fitting in the ring that slides down over the shift lever on the transmission.  Anyway, I think it was in a bind and age (126 miles).  At this point the little rubber fitting or whatever came apart.  The cable is in good shape.  When these cables break, is this the piece that breaks, or is this just an odd thing?  What I'm needing is the little plastic or rubber piece that fits into the ring on the end of the shift cable.  I've went to Auto Zone, O'Reilly's, Advanced Auto Parts, with no luck.  So, at this point, I've just kind of have it temporarily fixed, but I need to get my hands on a couple of those little rubber hickies.  Where can I find them without buying the whole cable?  It's $51.99.  Next question - After reading the site, I was under the impression that all GTZ's with the quad four have the heavy duty 5 speed, not the Muncie or Isuzu.  But somewhere on this site I thought I read GTZ's with a serial number below 500,000 have a Muncie transmission.  Can someone tell me the straight of this?  Sorry for the long detailed question.  Any help will be appreciated.

1990quadgtz
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

lol...wow another fellow 90 gtz tranny problem...just like min (not sure if you looked at my thread a few below urs yet or what)

My problem was my shift cable kept binding, I've replaced it 5 times myself in the last 2 months...along with it being replaced twice by shopsw before I learned how to do it myself.

All 1990 to 93 beretta GTZ's with the quad four have the 5 aspeed muncie transmission. I understand you dont have the receipt for the shift cable since you just bought it. have you asked them since it broke if you could defect it out? if they dont, thier assholes.

It is really hard to get those rubber pieces. I would suggest going to a junkyard and finding ANY beretta with a 5 speed or manual tranny and getting a shift cable piece of thiers. because if you search on autozones and advances websites they sell the motormite cable for every year.

my problem is that the shift plate where the cable  connects too is a little TOO loose and keeps causing the cable to bind...so I am looking at a rebuild myself..nothings helping/helped.

I hope this helps. trust me, I've done ALOT OF LOOKING. it's a muncie tranny...if your shift plate that the cable connects too is a little too lose, your going to be going through alot of cables like I am right now, I have to pull over periodically and wiggle the plate so the cable will move and not bind so I can still egt home.

Good Luck

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

I have only hear of GTZ's coming stock with the getrag trans.  It's a decent trans, not the smoothest shifting trans ever, but more (In my opinon) durable.
For your cable quick disconnects, I would run down to your local salvage yard and try to do locate some good ones there.
I would expect this to happen to a 16 year old car.  I also think* those quick disconnects are non-interchangeable...  Anotherwords, only that cable can use those type clips from another alike cable (QUAD with getrag trans) .  Goodluck on the search!
Welcome to the site.

_________
-------------
1990quadgtz

Post by 1990quadgtz »

thanks alot for yalls help

1990quadgtz
rweatherford

Post by rweatherford »

You cannot buy them new IIRC unless you get an entire cable.  Several people have this issue.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

Pbfromid

Re: need transmission shift cable help

Post by Pbfromid »

Cannot find shift cables for 93 GT 3.1 5 seed manual, anyone please help, pbfromidaho@msn.com, 208-277-7870 north Idaho.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: need transmission shift cable help

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Junk yard only item I believe... No one has had any replicate these cables and oem ones are all gone.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"