Help fuel problems?

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
APACHE 64D

Help fuel problems?

Post by APACHE 64D »

I'm in the process of driving my car down to miami. However i've come into a problem recently. Whenever i step on the gas the car stumbles and it dies. I've check the fuel pump(took it out of the tank) and it seems to run ok however i've noticed that it's getting kind of loud. I know once you turn the ignition to the on position it should make a noise and once the car cranks it keeps going and the noisy is heard less but this is not the case. I can actually hear it over the engine and if you squat down by the left rear tire you can hear it very loud. I bought a pressure tester to check the fuel pressure but it does something weird. When i turn the ignition on it's supposed to pressurize the system and i should get a steady reading but in my case it reads 40-48psi but the pressure drops to o after a 1 sec and when i turn the ignition off it goes back to 40-48psi and then it drops to o again. What could this be? may be the pump is going out>? or maybe the pressure regulator? I also notice that the fuel tester was leaking a little so it might be that it needs to be tighthen down in order to maintain the proper pressure. Like i said i'll be driving this car down to miami so i need it to make. Asides from this issue everything checks ok. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

1990 yellow indy
5 sp, 138,xxx, analog cluster, sunroof, new door panels/dashboard and blah, blah, blah!
mrtohil

Help fuel problems?

Post by mrtohil »

If it's really loud, it should be replaced. Have you checked the fuel pump voltage signals when the weird pressure reading are occuring?

'91 Teal GT 5spd.
'92 Red GT 5spd.
'96 Red Base Auto.
APACHE 64D

Help fuel problems?

Post by APACHE 64D »

I forgot to mention that i replaced the fuel filter. Does the side that says out go connected to the fuel like coming from the tank or the one going to the engine>? wanna make sure i didn't connected it wrong. Also how do i check the voltage reading from the pump? I read in the hayne's manual that it talks about a check valve inside the fuel pump? is this correct? Also does anyone know what the voltage should be for the map? last time i got a code 33 i believe which said something about high input from the map. Will this have anything to do with it? Another weird thing is that my fuel gauge pegs out to the full side and then it drops down to the correct reading. ?Could this have to do with the pump and sending unit? i checked the the cables for continuity and they all checked. thanks

1990 yellow indy
5 sp, 138,xxx, analog cluster, sunroof, new door panels/dashboard and blah, blah, blah!
SuzukiGhostRider

Help fuel problems?

Post by SuzukiGhostRider »

Ok. On, '89 and up Berettas, the flow arrow should point to the engine. So the arrow end should be connected to the engine line side of the fuel filter and pointing TOWARDS the engine.  Usually if you install it backwards the car won't run , or if it does, very crappy. Check it out, it MAY be your problem. If it's installed incorrectly, this would explain the loud fuel pump and instant fuel drain back. Your fuel system is pressuring back on itself. GL. Let me know. If the FF is installed correctly , we'll go from there.

APACHE 64D

Help fuel problems?

Post by APACHE 64D »

i got got a used fuel pump and the pressure regulator and i will install them today and we'll se where we go from here. What about the issue with the fuel gauge? any ideas on that? lol

1990 yellow indy
mrtohil

Help fuel problems?

Post by mrtohil »

Exactly what is the fuel gauge doing? Lemme see if I'm understanding this correctly... with the ignition switched on, the fuel gauge momentarily reads full, then drops to the correct fuel level. This occurs all within a few seconds?

'91 Teal GT 5spd.
'92 Red GT 5spd.
'96 Red Base Auto.
APACHE 64D

Help fuel problems?

Post by APACHE 64D »

Well, i changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator and added injector cleaner. It runs ok now but still feels weird for some reason. I'm gonna replaced the oxygen sensor and i'm looking into buying a cat and muffler. The fuel pump noisy is gone and it drives ok. Even the fuel guage works right(guess is was the sending unit). I have noticed that there's a small vacuum leak coming from where the intake manifold. I'm gonna give it a full tune up and hopefully it'll be where i want it to.

1990 yellow indy
SuzukiGhostRider

Help fuel problems?

Post by SuzukiGhostRider »

Glad to hear it worked out. So are you ON the road right now, or soon to be?

JeffD

Help fuel problems?

Post by JeffD »

yeah, the fuel pump would cause the drain back problem, sometimes the check valve goes bad. it happens on higher mileage parts.

1988 Beretta GT 5 speed - 1st car... Gone to the crusher. :(
1989 Beretta GT Z-51
1994 Beretta Z26 getting FE7+Z51 goodies
1987 Pontiac Bonneville LG3+4T65-E
1987 Chevrolet Celebrity Wagon L36+4T65-E
1998 Chevrolet C1500 5.7L L31+ built 4L60-E
APACHE 64D

Help fuel problems?

Post by APACHE 64D »

where is the check valve on this things? lol. The car runs fine now but i'm nervous whenever i drive it. I'm afraid it's gonna die on me or something. I still don't know what would it cause to die whenever you put it in gear and accelerated.

1990 yellow indy
Money pit Beretta

Help fuel problems?

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Hate to post jack, but does this mean that you are going to keep your car?

keep'em flying!
APACHE 64D

Help fuel problems?

Post by APACHE 64D »

well, i tried selling it but no one seems to want to buy it or even trade me for a GTZ!!!!unbelieveable lol. This is a rare car even among indys. The only thing this car needs to be completly restored is new paint and maybe a headliner. I've replaced almost everything else. I've got someone who might be interested in finishing it, if not i guess it will sit for about 2 years before i go back to it. Either way we'll find out what happens.

1990 yellow indy
Money pit Beretta

Help fuel problems?

Yes, very rare. Thought it was strange that you wanted to get rid of it. Two years? Keep me updated, I would like to see you keep it.

keep'em flying!
APACHE 64D

Help fuel problems?

Post by APACHE 64D »

well, it has already sat for over 2 years due to me being deployed already and i'm afraid if it sits another 2 years that it's a waste of time when someone can take care of it and finish it. I was interested in a gtz because i've got some ideas that could work with a GTZ only since making too many exterior or interior modifications to an indy is a not something i'd do. Yeah i'll keep ya posted. If it doesn't sell before i leave overseas i guess once i come back it'll be what everyone dreams of lol. I'll be making more than $230k's a year so i'm sure i can spare some for the indy

1990 yellow indy
Money pit Beretta

Help fuel problems?

Dang man, you could pay someone to make it into a show car with that much green. I'll take a guess, not a good one, I bet you will be working 15 hour days. In the rear with the gear.

keep'em flying!