Cold Headlights

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
berettafarm

Cold Headlights

Post by berettafarm »

As the weather gets colder it takes longer for my headlights to come on. When it's below zero it can take up to 3 minutes before they come on after I push the switch. I've replaced the switch, no difference. Is there a relay under the hood that operates the headlights?
In the summer they work fine, I've never had a Beretta that the headlights had to "warm up" before they worked.

David Hinton
Bandit

Cold Headlights

Post by Bandit »

I would assume that you have stock headlights.  if that is the case I would first check all the wires for the headlights then check relays. (I honestly don't know the location of the relay)  

If you have changed to HID's (Some people have done this) then it is expected for them to have to "warm up" before they work in cold weather.

- Ryan -
1987 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
1995 Chevy S10 Ext. Cab 4x4
berettafarm

Cold Headlights

Post by berettafarm »

HID's ? What are those? I suppose I should have said it was an 89 base. No fancy add-ons or custom anything. I have had 14 Berettas and not a one of them had this problem. Most of them were parted or sold. I am down to 3 and this is the only one that has ever done this. I never give it a thought until the weather turns cold. I usually flip on the roadlights and head out to work until they come on about 1/2 mile down the road.

David Hinton
1988GTU

Cold Headlights

Post by 1988GTU »

I know what you're talking about.  I had the same problem and it was the contacts in the switch.  The dielectric grease was cruddy and when cold, it made poor contact.  Replacing it was easier than trying to take it apart and cleaning it.

Could also be the switch down by the foot of the steering column too.  Take a peek at it and see the condition.  If you have had an alarm/keyless entry installed, that white switch is first to go.

_________
-------------
berettafarm

Cold Headlights

Post by berettafarm »

Sorry, nothing fancy on this car like an alarm system. The only thing on this car that sets it apart is the GTZ wheels. Are you referring to the ignition switch or the dimmer switch on the column? Been there, dicked with that.
Bandit, Seems ironic I also have a Subaru, but it's a 1970 360 Deluxe. NOT designed at all for off road use. I don't even like driving it on the interstate. It's so small it will fit in a full sized pickup.

David Hinton
1988GTU

Cold Headlights

Post by 1988GTU »

You didnt respond to the first part.    I gave two possible areas to diagnose.  If none dont help, get out the dvom and start trouble shooting.  It would be nice if you DO find the problem that you would report back, but no one ever does so we will not expect that from you.

_________
-------------
berettafarm

Cold Headlights

Post by berettafarm »

(1988GTU @ Oct. 18 2008,17:11)QUOTEYou didnt respond to the first part.   I gave two possible areas to diagnose.  If none dont help, get out the dvom and start trouble shooting.  It would be nice if you DO find the problem that you would report back, but no one ever does so we will not expect that from you.
As I said in the original posting, I had replaced the headlight switch and it changed nothing. If I find out what the problem is I will be back here to let EVERYONE know what cured it.
DH

David Hinton
SuzukiGhostRider

Cold Headlights

Post by SuzukiGhostRider »

It's ironic, but I also have this same issue with my GT. I DO have E39 BMW headlights though and I DID remove the half assed, no longer working right, alarm system from it. However, the headlight issue is the only one I ran into and my lights were doing the same thing before I removed it. Press the switch for parking or both parking/heads and it takes anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes for them to come on. Doesn't matter whether it's cold or hot or if the car has been running for mine though. I'd already figured the switch but I'll check the relay on the column too. Thx GTU!

yellow3800

Cold Headlights

Post by yellow3800 »

my 89gt does this.... took 10sec this morning.  go fig.  I'm not worried about it yet, but I'm definately monitoring it.  I agree with the grease.  Even in a "new" switch, the cold will stiffen them up.  I'll keep it in mind!

Andy

berettafarm

Cold Headlights

Post by berettafarm »

As I have stated before, I changed the switch with no change. I haven't taken the time to check if there are relays on the firewall at the back of the engine compartment that operate the headlights. I'm going to have to get to it soon. It''s getting colder and it's taking longer for them to come on. Gotta rip a 5-speed out of an 89 GT this weekend for my nephews GTU. The clutch is self-destructing and the 3rd gear syncro is junk. Might as well do it all at once.

David Hinton
Mr. Beefy

Cold Headlights

Post by Mr. Beefy »

Here's a dumb question but have you tried replacing the actual bulb??

John

'01 Duratec Sable Wagon
berettafarm

Cold Headlights

Post by berettafarm »

Yeah, kind of dumb. Why would the bulbs keep them BOTH from coming on? They aren't wired in series? They both have their own separate circuit. Wired in parallel. You know, when 1 burns out the other still works? And they BOTH work fine in the summer. I've been too busy with other stuff to check for a relay. When I find out I will be sure to get a post up.
I can't be the only person with this problem. Although many owners hibernate their cars in the winter so it might not be noticed. It's been this way for the last 3 years. I just run the road lights until they come on.

David Hinton
berettafarm

Cold Headlights

Post by berettafarm »

yellow3800 : 10 seconds!!!! Is that all?? Mine don't come on for at least a good 3 to 5 minutes!!! (@ -12 below)
I drive 6 to 8 blocks before they come on. You're LUCKY!!!
This will not be a reason to move to Florida!!! LOL!!

David Hinton
yellow3800

Cold Headlights

Post by yellow3800 »

10 sec @ 32deg - frosted car outside.  its hitting 60s on this halloween in the day, so .... ooooh you must hate me!    yeah, I could see -12F with minutes...

andy
89gt

90_Black_GTZ

Cold Headlights

Post by 90_Black_GTZ »

I would look at that relay pack that's in the steering column.  The headlights route through there and that is a problematic area.  I've replaced mine twice for two different headlight issues.

90 Black GTZ (I am the original owner since May 5, 1990)
187,000 miles