Blinker Not Working

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
Tegra54

Blinker Not Working

Post by Tegra54 »

I have no clue what is wrong so I will describe my symptoms and maybe someone can help me out:

On my dashboard my light for my left blinker is permanently on.

If i activate the blinker it stays solid, but the lever pops back when i turn left.

If i turn on the emergency flashers the blinker light on the dash blinks.

Under no circumstances will the left blinker (front and back) turn on.

Now if i remember correctly if the bulb is burnt out the blinker will go extra fast.  I dont think it is burnt out because neither the front nor back work.  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

-Pat
'94 Base 2.2 - Nothin' Special
BerettaLove32

Blinker Not Working

Post by BerettaLove32 »

Could be a few things. The turn signal lever might be broken where it goes in. Mine is kinda messed up and it will have the dash light on but if I tap it up a little it goes off.  The flasher might need to be replaced. And whenever I had ground issues with my battery my left turn signal would stay on and flash super slow. For some reason the ground from my battery to the frame of the car gets just a tiny bit loose on the frame and that happens.

Jeff P

Blinker Not Working

Post by Jeff P »

I'd say the problem is probably the multifunction switch inside the steering column.  It either needs a cleaning or is worn out.  As you said, the problem isn't the bulbs if they all work with the emergency flashers on.  You can try cleaning and testing the switch before deciding if you need a new one.  When I bought a new one from GM it cost around $60.00.  Make sure you disable the airbag first.

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi
Tegra54

Blinker Not Working

Post by Tegra54 »

Thanks for the prompt responses....

when the emergency flashers go on the left blinker does not blink, just the indicator on the dash does

-Pat
96BlackRoseZ26

Blinker Not Working

Post by 96BlackRoseZ26 »

If that's the case, I'd check some bulbs too. ÂÂÂ I thought if the bulb was burnt out, the flasher unit won't blink because the flasher circuit is considered open at that point?  And also, isn't the hazard flasher and the turn signal flasher separate?  I could be wrong.

Have you ever felt like you were flying, but didn't have wings?

Jerry Bickley
02 Navy Blue Metallic Monte Carlo SS
3800 V6/4-Speed Auto

Blinker Not Working

Post by Guest »

bulb burnt out

Tegra54

Blinker Not Working

Post by Tegra54 »

Alright, I will check the bulbs.

Is there a way I can check to see if it is the front one or the back one?

-Pat
1988GTU

Blinker Not Working

Post by 1988GTU »

Have someone outside the car in the front/back and you inside the car.  You: Jiggle the handle a tad bit of the stalk of the turnsignal lever while its in the left-turn position.  Have the helper person tell you if the light came on.

If it did pop on, its most likely the turn signal indicator switch...  Some people call it the multi-functional switch (People with cruise control/other accessories use this word) .  You can try to clean the contacts for it, but Slim to none that will help, & you are with Slim at the parts store digging into your pocket buying the part.

_________
-------------
Jeff P

Blinker Not Working

Post by Jeff P »

(Tegra54 @ Oct. 16 2005,07:42)Q
U
O
T
Ewhen the emergency flashers go on the left blinker does not blink, just the indicator on the dash does
Guess I misunderstood you.  Definitely check the bulbs first as the others said.  Also, if you can't find a helper to watch the lights for you, you can park your car in front of a store window and watch the reflection as you jiggle the switch.

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi
Tegra54

Blinker Not Working

Post by Tegra54 »

Thanks for all your guy's help.

I looked at the front blinker and somehow the reflecter part where the bulbs mount got cracked and the harness holding the bulb was all junked out....the clear part in front was in perfect condition (go figure)

anyways, grabbed all the parts i needed from the local u-pull for under $10

thanks again!!

-Pat

Blinker Not Working

Post by Guest »

That's what I like -a nice easy fix.