Car Won't fire!

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...

Car Won't fire!

Post by Guest »

Alright I was out driving my car the night before this happened, I took my g/f home or whatever and came home and parked the car no harm done no signs of anything, Now when I went to leave for school in the morning my car wouldn't start, I just figured I was out of gas but was surprised to find I have no spark! for some odd reason after a 5 minute drive with no problems i lost my spark! I figured It was the ignition module because of the on going problems with reliability! well anyways I had It tested and it came back fine!! And now I have no Idea what it could be, I replaced the CPS(crank position sensor about 3 months ago, nasty little bugger that one is!)  so I can rule that out unless it was faulty! and I've replaced the fuel pump and filter twice in the past two years!) and I do have sufficient fuel pressure at the rails!. not sure where else to turn to, especially when it gave me no warning and no reason for it! Any Ideas or info would be much appreciated!! I've done a lot of work to the car to get it to where it is and plan on keeping it around a little longer!! Its an 88' sky blue (custom painted by myself) 2.8L v6 (which i swaped out for that junk 2.0L 4 banger!!) now i just need to find a five speed!!! being that my wiring harness is for the standard and i've got the auto!! but once again thanks for all the help!

Car Won't fire!

Post by Guest »

If you are sure it is a lack of spark... have you tried the "wiggle test"?   Wiggle some harnesses around, and see if you can start it.  How are your battery cables?  Some time ago, I had a bad positive battery cable, it seemed okay, but apparently the wire inside the insulation was brittle and would only make contact above a certain temp...  And, you mentioned your ignition module testing ok.  Where did you have it tested?  If it was tested at Auto Zone, I would count that info as being useless.  Most often, they will tell it tests okay, and it is in fact not okay.  Not that they are necessarily doing it wrong- but that '88 module very rarely tests as bad- when in fact it is.