Valve Clack

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
Racing_Rush

Valve Clack

Post by Racing_Rush »

I have some loud vlavle clack on the rear cylinder head... Time to replace camshaft? or maybe the rods are streched?  Or maybe valve guides or seats?

Any suggetions.  I am going to be swapping normal 3.1 heads on the engine when I am on vacation, would this be the time to get a performance camshaft ground or just try and put a used stocker in and see if it helps?

1991 Cavalier Z24- Racing seats, MSD wires, relocated MSD coils, 2.5" exhaust, ported exhaust manifolds, high volume oil pump, poly grafite front end, 92+ brake upgrade, drilled and slotted rotors, 1.5" lowering, 17" Klasse wheels...

Future Plans: 18's, paint, rear discs, more horsepower...
1988GTU

Valve Clack

Post by 1988GTU »

Are you 100% on the valves clacking?
Could be rocker arms or lifters.

If you do decide to replace valves & can  afford a cam, then yes replace the cam for a better one.  Replace lifters, pushrods, gaskets also.  If you have some time and feel confident, port/polish the LIM.

mmm power mmm    

_________
-------------
wicked-irocz

Valve Clack

Post by wicked-irocz »

Did you get the custom length pushrods which are needed for the 3100 top end conversion?

If not the ones you have are probably to short or the nuts that hold the rockers down are worn out.

94 Beretta Z26 57,4xx miles
3100, auto, crank windows, power locks/trunk, A/C,
To many mods to list
-intercooler :shock:

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo
Racing_Rush

Valve Clack

Post by Racing_Rush »

I have the older 94 heads which dont have roller rockers     But the upside is that I dont think I need push rods. But after I make the exhaust changes, fuel line changes, and rad hose changes.  The road will be paved for a 3400  

I am not bothering porting and polishing these 3.1 parts, I brought them for bead blasting and didnt even do that. Its only a temporary fix. I am hoping to put on another rear head and the camshaft from my Bertta GT and hope the problem goes away  

1991 Cavalier Z24- Racing seats, MSD wires, relocated MSD coils, 2.5" exhaust, ported exhaust manifolds, high volume oil pump, poly grafite front end, 92+ brake upgrade, drilled and slotted rotors, 1.5" lowering, 17" Klasse wheels...

Future Plans: 18's, paint, rear discs, more horsepower...