High idle

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
KillerofRice

High idle

Post by KillerofRice »

My quad seems to have an idle problem. I know it will idle high when first started to warm up quicker but it won't drop to at least a 1000 rpm when completely warm. Sometimes it will sit and fluctuate in the rpms. My service engine light has never come on. Could it be the idle air control valve? I have put NGK copper core spark plugs in and I just checked the coil packs and the coil pack cover all three look brand new. Any ideas would be appreciated.

90 GTZ - Mostly stock
84 Z28- Sold  Was a better beater than beretta.

High idle

Post by Guest »

looks can be deceptive, autozone tests most electronics, they might help you out for free, they will scan it for free also. ask for a gm code key, its free and will fit nicely on your key chain, buy hanyes manual, chapter six will help you to fix it yourself.

1988GTU

High idle

Post by 1988GTU »

Didn't you have the coolant in the oil?  Or atleast some what on the dipstick?
Could be the head/head gasket is causing a leak and sucking in air, then when the engine gets to operating temp the gasket or head closes up allowing to run normal (Some what).

_________
-------------

High idle

Post by Guest »

Does your car have a TPS?

IsaacHayes

High idle

Post by IsaacHayes »

IAC valve probaby, unless you have other more serius problems like bad headgasket as stated above.

Image Image 2010 project (click pic)
1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles.
16.0 @ 84.41mph when stock. Now ???
Original L82 w/LA1, LX9, & LX5 parts!!!

soon to be OBD1 tuned...
KillerofRice

High idle

Post by KillerofRice »

I have put on a new fuel filter and that has helped some. It has at least dropped to 1000 rpms but what it the idle speed on a quad suppose to be?

90 GTZ - Mostly stock
84 Z28- Sold  Was a better beater than beretta.