94 Quad 4 starting/idle problems

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
scd88ga

Re: 94 Quad 4 starting/idle problems

Post by scd88ga »

Looks like carbon tracking on your coil housing, I would replace it along with the 4 boots.

'94 Quad 4 H.O. 5 speed Z26, Red & Rare! 1 of 896 Quad Z26's and of those it's 1 of 167 red paint/gray interior!
Need A Quality Used Part? Contact me at Posihead Auto Parts!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Posihead ... 3779691724
SuzukiGhostRider

Post by SuzukiGhostRider »

Good call on the Iridiums. Money well spent , trust me. Glad to hear she's running good now. I would pull the negative on the battery for 5 minutes, then hook it back up. This will clear all codes (current and stored) and then see if you get the CL again.

Yes, a glasspack tones the raspiness out. Trust me. I've done it to a few now.

BadBerettaZ26

Post by BadBerettaZ26 »

Forgot to mention, I did reset the ECM while changing the plugs, but still get the CEL. Left the battery unhooked for a good half hour while the car cooled off. I guess I'm gonna have to take it somewhere to get the codes read

scd88ga

Post by scd88ga »

You should do what I said first...

'94 Quad 4 H.O. 5 speed Z26, Red & Rare! 1 of 896 Quad Z26's and of those it's 1 of 167 red paint/gray interior!
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

BadBerettaZ26 wrote:
I looked at this code reader but it doesn't list anything for 94-95 Berettas, so I assume it doesn't handle obd 1.5...
That is just a huge paper clip in a plastic box, and since OBDI.5 doesnt flash the check engine light that is yes usless on 94-95 Beretta's.

You need an actual code reader/scanner for OBDI, I bought one on ebay a long time ago, it's an Actron OBDI scan tool and I can pull codes on OBDI.5 Beretta's just fine.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
BadBerettaZ26

Post by BadBerettaZ26 »

Well after driving it to work a couple times, I have come to the conclusion that I kinda like the decel braaaap when shifting, but that hollow cat has GOT TO go. Can't stand that hollow sound, sounds terrible and kinda like an old VW lol. My truck has a 360 with hollow cat and glasspack and it sounds good, deep and loud, but also has a bit of the hollow-cat sound, albeit not nearly as bad as the little Quad! As luck would have it, I have had a cherry bomb hanging on my basement wall that I never realized until a day or 2 ago is a 2" in/out so it should work perfectly. gonna try to get that on there this weekend. Kinda hoping it gives it a unique sound to match the uniqueness of the car itself!

scd88ga wrote:You should do what I said first...
What, the coil housing and boots? I've been callin some junkyards around here and so far they claim to have NO berettas or Quad 4s... Got a couple more to check, but I'm lookin! And I just gotta go to Napa or carquest or something to get the boots, Canadian Tire just had 2 in stock. I don't know why they don't just come in a set of 4, they say right on the box 'for 4cylinder engines'.... money grab I guess :roll:

3X00, That's what I figured.... I've always assumed they were just a glorified jumper wire judging by the terminal placement... I might have a look around and see if I can pick up an obd1 scanner cheap...

scd88ga

Post by scd88ga »

BadBerettaZ26 wrote:
What, the coil housing and boots? I've been callin some junkyards around here and so far they claim to have NO berettas or Quad 4s... Got a couple more to check, but I'm lookin! And I just gotta go to Napa or carquest or something to get the boots, Canadian Tire just had 2 in stock. I don't know why they don't just come in a set of 4, they say right on the box 'for 4cylinder engines'.... money grab I guess :roll:
Yes, but get new parts, not junkyard parts.

Geesh, am I the only one that has heard of the carbon tracking issue with the Quad/TC coil housings? :unknown:

BadBerettaZ26

Re: Re: 94 Quad 4 starting/idle problems

Post by BadBerettaZ26 »

scd88ga wrote:
BadBerettaZ26 wrote:
Yes, but get new parts, not junkyard parts.

Geesh, am I the only one that has heard of the carbon tracking issue with the Quad/TC coil housings? :unknown:
Ooooo-kkk! I figured it would be a jy item, along with everything else on these ol cars... Fyi, i knew absolutely nothing about the quad4 before i got this car, save for it being a 4cyl 16v dohc engine. Didnt even realize it didnt have plug wires til this issue popped up! Sheeesh!

scd88ga

Re: Re: 94 Quad 4 starting/idle problems

Post by scd88ga »

BadBerettaZ26 wrote:Ooooo-kkk! I figured it would be a jy item, along with everything else on these ol cars... Fyi, i knew absolutely nothing about the quad4 before i got this car, save for it being a 4cyl 16v dohc engine. Didnt even realize it didnt have plug wires til this issue popped up! Sheeesh!
LOL, no sweat bro, we've all gotta start somewhere. My 94 Quad Z26 is also my first Beretta and my first quad 4 car, I bought it almost 2 years ago. I've meddled in the new and used parts game for almost 8 years now, so I did gain some prior quad 4 related knowledge due to that before purchasing my car. I think they are fun little engines, easy to work on, easy to diagnose, make good power, sound good, etc...

I know most parts stores used to carry the housing for like $50-$60 and the 4 boots for like $20-$30. If you can't find a new housing, I do have a good used one with only 5,000 miles on it, boots included.

Check out my 94 Quad Z26 if you haven't already, it's on the bottom of this page: http://www.beretta.net/forum/viewtopic. ... 1&start=90

BadBerettaZ26

Post by BadBerettaZ26 »

Well I apologize for not replying to this thread sooner, been busy lately and haven't been on much... PLease don't mistake my silence for ignorance sc88, I was just messin around anyway:) I'm still having problems with the car, I have come to the conclusion that I have purchased the Devil's Beretta, and nothing short of a fiddle contest will beat this thing (still wouldn't give it up for anything!)... First, my battery crapped out a week or so ago, so I bought a new one from Canadian Tire and spent most of last week trying to diagnose what was killing that one also until I discovered that I got a bad battery from them. Replaced it again and solved that problem, but I still have major running issues... It will start right up if I haven't driven it for a few hours, but almost exactly a minute after starting the rpms drop suddenly and it starts running rough, sometimes stalling it, and the CEL comes on. At this point it will not start at all without flooring the pedal.

For example: I drove it to work last night, got there at close to 5PM, shut it off, no start. Come out at 8PM and just touch the key and it starts. Drive to a nearby store and back without shutting it off, maybe 5 mins total, and no start again. FFWD to 3:30AM, done work and it starts right up with a touch, drive approx 45 mins home and no start again. Doesn't matter how long its been running. When I'm actually driving it, it seems to work ok for a short time then starts missing and stumbling if I'm giving it some gas to accelerate or climb a hill... Seems to be anywhere from 1/4 to 3/4 throttle, but if I give it more it comes right out of it. CEL comes and goes while driving, but problems remain constant. It's gotta be running way rich, I can smell it and it cost me close to 30 bucks to go to work and back when it usually costs 10-15.

Any ideas? The car worked like a top til the converter plugged up, even for a good month prior while I could hear the pieces rattling around inside the cat, so I have to think it stems from that. Did I toast the O2 sensor with the clogged cat? FWIW I unhooked it and took it for a short drive and noticed no difference. I'm gonna test some voltages and stuff later today. I still plan to replace the boots and probably coils but I'm thinkin it's maybe O2 related, definitely fuel related at least. Can anyone tell me what normally happens in the OBD1 ECM after approx 1 minute from startup? I took it to my mechanic to read the codes but he no longer has the OBD1 adapter for his genesys scanner, but he found an old GM box style code reader and even after arguing with him that it wouldn't work with this car he insisted I have it anyways. It's an equus 3008, I believe just an older version of the 3123 I posted previously, and doesn't do anything when plugged in. Supposed to take it to another guy later today who says he can read it, so we'll see how that goes. Thanks for reading!

SuzukiGhostRider

Sounds like you did indeed fry your O2 sensor with the bad Cat. Try replacing it. Your car is likely running well the first few minutes because it's in open loop. It then goes into closed loop and starts relying on readings from your O2. If these are wrong, as it sounds, your car will run too rich or too lean. For $20 it's worth a shot. Oh, and O2 Sensors almost NEVER throw a code.

If that doesn't fix it, your issue does have some classic bad fuel pump symptoms in it as well. However , I would lean to the O2 Sensor first.

BadBerettaZ26

Post by BadBerettaZ26 »

Ok I checked the voltage on the O2 after warming up the car a bit and all I'm getting is .05V +/- .01... Called around some parts stores and I could get a Delphi for ~27 bucks, a Bosch for ~30+, or an NGK for ~40 bucks. Which of these 3 is best? I assume not the el cheapo delphi unit, and everyone told me 'NGK is top of the line' for O2 sensors. I know this isn't true for thier plugs, dunno bout thier sensors.

I was thinking SGR that it was going into CL and the sensor was wonking things up, but it seems like this is happening way too soon in the cycle for it to be that. Nevertheless, everything that is going on is pointing me towards the O2 sensor so I will pick one up hopefully today on my way to work. I've never bought one and I thought they were like $80+ so I didn't wanna just throw money at it but 30-40 bucks isn't bad.

SuzukiGhostRider

The Delphi or NGK are both good when it comes to O2 sensors. Run away from the Bosch!

BadBerettaZ26

Post by BadBerettaZ26 »

Good to hear, I already picked up the NGK! Now if all goes well ill change it tomorrow sometime and let ya know how it works... I knew there was one particular brand to stay away from just couldnt remember which one it was. Thanks for the tip SGR!

SuzukiGhostRider

Np. Yeah , bosch makes a decent spark plug as long as you stay away from the +4 and all that other bullshit, but they don't make much else that's worth a DAMN. :D