Coolant boiling over

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
kimmykun

Coolant boiling over

Post by kimmykun »

Hey, all. Basicaly, after I shut off the engine, all the coolant sprays out of the radiator cap until it's all pretty much out. This has been happening since Satuday when I had the oil changed. Before that it was perfectly fine. I changed the radiator cap, but that didn't do anything. And the temperature gage doesn't show it overheating either. Any ideas?

quad4gtz

Coolant boiling over

Post by quad4gtz »

You are probably experiencing air in the system or a restriction/flow issue. Run it with the cap off and see if it will boil in the reservoir. Worst case scenario you have the beginnings of head gasket failure.

1990 GTZ Quad 4 HO
rweatherford

Coolant boiling over

Post by rweatherford »

This doesn't sound good......

I hope this oil change was with a mechanic you trust and have a history with.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

docrodg

Coolant boiling over

Post by docrodg »

Check out the overflow hose to the coolant reservoir by pulling it off the filler neck and blowing thru it.  A restricted overflow hose can cause the expanded fluid to blow out the cap.  Bleed the system by running the engine at 1500 rpm or a little less and adding coolant as it needs.  Try to keep it full thee whole time.  Then just shut it down and cap the radiator.  Hopefully that will do it.