Don't mess with texas - 3400 swap project

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
Rettax3

Re: Don't mess with texas - 3400 swap project

Post by Rettax3 »

I just get a '404 error' when trying to follow the link, but then, I've been getting that for several days now -I thought the site went the way of bstuff for a while there... :roll:

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
themixer

Post by themixer »

sorry the forum went down

new link

http://www.beretta.net/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=23509

themixer

Post by themixer »

Well good news ! It runs and drives !

Getting two codes on the scanner 41 and 43 going to be sure that all the wiring is attached ok and clear them. Seems to be running quite smoothly but loud.

http://youtu.be/a0m_7ZzNTG0

Sent from mobile device

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Not good codes to get...

DTC - 41 Ignition control error
DTC - 41 MEM-CAL error
DTC - 43 Knock sensor error

Those are no fun to troubleshoot... I've seen almost anytime the 43 code is present that the whole memcal or ECU is bad.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

I have had a 43 be a bad knock sensor before. Did you splice the knock sensor wire at all? Are you using the original knock sensor in the new location? When I did my 3400 swap back in 2003, I had used the original knock sensor, relocated to the front for the knock sensor, the back for the ignition module and just left the excess wire tucked in the harness.

Oh, and you did connect the ground wire for the ignition module, right? I believe the original was attached to one of the trans mounting bolts.

Cliff Scott
themixer

Post by themixer »

yes i did splice the knock sensor wire and relocate it to the front, i will check all the grounds!

themixer

Post by themixer »

In the rush to try and make it to the appointment to the exhaust shop, still have not the time to look at any of the wiring. The two days before taking it down it decided the axle seals wanted to puke all the GM Synchromesh all over the floor. Topping it off, the heater core blew out. So my garage floor is a mess of vital car fluids. So for now the heater core is bypassed, but I did manage to stick in some new axle seals.

Driving the car home the exhaust shop, it really ran like a bag of assholes. Definitely something spark related, lots of black smoke 0% power, stalling, but on the bright side it always started right back up again! Clutch feels lovely, and it seems as if having the proper mounts has stopped a vibration that was present in 3rd gear, though the selector in the car.

Garage is going for a major clean up, then the car is going in for some troubleshooting

If it turns out there is a major problem with the wiring to the ICM and knock sensor I may just bypass the harness and make my own. Does anyone have the ECM pinouts they can post up for my 1991?

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

disconnect the batt now that you have the exhaust leak free and that should clear up the 'black' smoke stalling issue unless you fouled the plugs/o2 sensor.

_________
-------------
themixer

Post by themixer »

haven't even done an idle re-learn, but the check engine light comes on immediately with those two codes. It has to be a ground or something not connected properly, I remember taking more than one hoop of wires off the back of the transmission but only connected back up one set.

Also the temp sensor for the cluster doesn't seem to have a spot for connection to the engine. Did i miss something?

themixer

Post by themixer »

seems as if code 43 is taken care of, the sensor wire connector is broken, have a new one to put on as it fell out and was just hanging there.

Onto the next very stupid move, I placed my memcal in upside down on the ecu. I emailed WOT-tec saying that I should win an award for top fail, as this is the second time doing this. I emailed him before with a picture of it installed wrong, and referenced that when putting it back together. He said that I should be able to turn the chip around reconnect the battery and continue. The car runs much much better at this point with it switched around, but still wants to stall and won't idle.

I know i have another memcal, but does it matter if its from an automatic car?

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

I know the later-model cars (i.e., 3100 SFI with the 4T60E) will have a high and low rev limiter, depending on if the car is in neutral/park or drive/low (not sure what it thinks about reverse...), and you would have to send a signal to the PCM to adjust for that with a manual transmission or have your engine bounce at ~4800 RPM. Not sure about your car being a '91, but I would think it might have the same issue. I will dig into my book and see if I can find out anything on that. You will also have an idle issue, as the ECM will try very hard to lower the RPMs when using engine-compression braking (or just coasting in gear), as it will be confused about why the RPMs are staying so high. It is a little annoying, but not undrivable. If possible, just retain your 5-speed MEMCAL...

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
themixer

Post by themixer »

I don't seem to be having any sort of problem like that, but yes of you find out more information it would be appreciated ! I got an email back from WOT tech saying I could use any memcal for a 2.8/3.1

So I am still on code 43 this is what I have done so far.

Changed ECU and memcal
Verified 5 volts to the knock sensor wire

This is the weird part is I am getting 100k ohm test on my knock sensor, this is way out of spec of the factory service manual, I did leave the 3400 sensor in place, should I have swapped mine from the 3.1 multiport ?

Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

I used the original one with my swap.

Cliff Scott
themixer

Post by themixer »

http://crzyz28.sytes.net/images/banners ... -guide.pdf

After taking a look at these even 3100 to 3400 ones are different I will try to track down a new knock sensor today hopefully this fixes my code issue and poor running

Seems as if the 3 wire temp sensor is what I desire for fixing my dash gauge

themixer

Post by themixer »

So I have switched back to the oem style knock sensor, the computer now has no codes.

New problem, the car won't idle when driving at any speed.

Push the clutch car seems to die no code no anything

If the car is at idle and stationary seems fine

I used the 3400 map sensor setup, should
I be using the 3.1 setup ? really at a loss as to why this is happening now