LS1/t56 swap

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
acemccool

Re: LS1/t56 swap

Postby acemccool » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:40 pm

Where I live, we have more strict rules. Guaranteed if I did this to a Beretta then was in an accident they would void insurance due to its extensive modification. We have to take the car to an inspection to make sure its road worthy then bring the report to insurance and they either issue a new vin # or re-apply the current one with a modified description.

Not too expensive to do, probably $200 for inspection and $30 for the modified car vin application. Then it I would get it insured as a daily driver which shouldn't be much more than what you would typically pay. I have been thinking of doing something similar to what your doing.

My current problem is I don't know what kind of frame modification is considered safe and acceptable.

Wanted to basically take a early 90's S10 frame, cut the front clip out and rear end section of frame and fabricate the mid section to connect the two so the frame runs along the main frame structure like yours does beside the doors. Then notch out the beretta sheet metal to slip on the frame and weld it to the frame.

Not interested in doing body mounts and not just plunking the body on an existing frame. I want it to be proper ride height.

Alxsmt

Postby Alxsmt » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:53 pm

Rettax3 wrote:
Alxsmt wrote:its 1/8" (.120) 2x4.

I have no idea how I will insure it, I havnt gotten that far yet, Ill figure it out when its running! End of the day its "just a beretta"..

I insure my old Plymouth through a company in Florida that has options for limited or unlimited mileage, selectable deductibles, and an 'agreed upon' value. They have a good reputation for backing their policy, or at least they did... Your Beretta is probably old enough, a company like that might actually cover it... :wink: IIRC, they were willing to cover my GTU a few years ago, because it was over 25 years old and maybe because it is a special edition. :pardon: The only special requirement was that you had to have a 'daily driver' registered and insured elsewhere. Hmm, I've got to get a policy on my less-old Plymouth too, now that I think about it...

oh nice. I do know mine qualifies for "classic" plates! I will probably have the car appraised when its done at least. I know an appraiser who is a diehard automotive enthusiast.

acemccool wrote:Where I live, we have more strict rules. Guaranteed if I did this to a Beretta then was in an accident they would void insurance due to its extensive modification. We have to take the car to an inspection to make sure its road worthy then bring the report to insurance and they either issue a new vin # or re-apply the current one with a modified description.

Not too expensive to do, probably $200 for inspection and $30 for the modified car vin application. Then it I would get it insured as a daily driver which shouldn't be much more than what you would typically pay. I have been thinking of doing something similar to what your doing.

My current problem is I don't know what kind of frame modification is considered safe and acceptable.

Wanted to basically take a early 90's S10 frame, cut the front clip out and rear end section of frame and fabricate the mid section to connect the two so the frame runs along the main frame structure like yours does beside the doors. Then notch out the beretta sheet metal to slip on the frame and weld it to the frame.

Not interested in doing body mounts and not just plunking the body on an existing frame. I want it to be proper ride height.

Im not positive how normal insurance would look at my car. I dont even have emissions testing where I live, but they do a few miles from me haha.

I dont think there really is a "safe" way to do it, you change all the crush zones and no real way of knowing whats going to happen in a crash. But that being said, it cant be any more unsafe that a classic car. I think you would have better luck using the whole S10 frame and making it shorter/longer to match the wheel base, then just "sink it in" the car and weld it together. Always the bravada or astro too.. an issue with using a random frame is that its not built for what you want, by the time your done you may as well build one! Just my opinion, regardless it would be pretty cool to see it done with an S10 frame.

88 Beretta CL - your average grandma car.. Ls1 swap in progress
77 Celica - needs an engine swap
96 Geo - 1.0L, Cam, 3 angle, cam gear, magnaflow, Koni, H&R
86 Subi - rally car

Alxsmt

Postby Alxsmt » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:53 pm

update from a few weeks ago, Just been too busy to get on here.

angle Iron welded in, welds are nicer than they look in this picture dont worry. Not perfect.. but nicer lol.

This is where it sits now. Going through ideas on how im going to make the driveshaft go through the frame when I connect the rails together in the back. Im pretty sure I have it figured out, just not ready to do it yet. Cant sit too low or it will screw up the flat floor im planning, cant sit too high or it will screw up the back seat haha. Hoping to have it welded in, but its looking like it will need to have the bottom bolted in to have driveshaft access. Need to think on it a bit more, and order some metal. If im not explaining it very well ill have pictures of it in a few weeks I think.

86 Subi - rally car

bonecrrusher

Postby bonecrrusher » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:49 am

Is the angle iron taking up the gap between the outer perimeter frame rail of the Beretta body- and the chassis frame rail that you are adding?

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Z51
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Chevy SS

Alxsmt

Postby Alxsmt » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:19 pm

Yeah, the beretta has a slight angle to it and the angle iron is just enough of a spacer to make my frame perfectly at 90*. I think it will be easier to build the frame, and everything coming off of it if all my cuts are simple.
These users thanked the author Alxsmt for the post:
bonecrrusher (Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:53 am)
Rating: 20%

86 Subi - rally car

Return to “Performance Mods”