Doing engine swap...

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?

Doing engine swap...

Post by Guest »

OK so I have a 1995 Z26 and last week it died. Only one side of the engine if firing...on yes the coils are good. The oil pressure dropped to zero (and there is lots in it), there are no external leaks visible, so I and a mechanic assume some sort of Camshaft failure.

Anyway, since the engine has >286000 kms (165000 Miles) and it would cost about $350 cdn just to find out what the problem is, I have decided to put in a 3400 SFI engine to replace the 3100 SFI that is in there now.

I will be going to buy an engine from an auto recycler on tuesday morning. The basically buy insurance write-offs and pull out the good parts and resell them. They have a 3400 with only 17000 kms (11000 Miles) and I can pick that up for about $1200 cdn (~ $900-$1000 US) and with such low mileage it seems like a steal. The vehicle it is coming from was in a roll over so very little engine compartment damage.

So I want to make sure that I am buying the right one before I go ahead and make the deal.

1) The 3100 is a "M" Series and the 3400 is an "E" Series...this is the correct match??
2) A supercharger and/or Turbo can be put on the 3400??
3) There are no big stock part changes to be made?? ie. Wiring harnesses, computers, Fuel injectors, etc??

Thanks for the help, I know that this has been discussed many times and I have read through the swap guide at www.3400swap.com but I just want to make sure that I am not missing anything obvious.

MAJ28

Doing engine swap...

Post by MAJ28 »

www.domesticcrew.com/660
www.feavs.com

I'd suggest a slighly higher mileage 3400 to save you a couple hundred bucks, but to each his own.  I'm just happy my 3100 I'm picking up has 37k, I consider under 50k to be young.  The VIN is inconsequential.

I have been planning out my engine swap for a few days now, I'm swapping in a 2001 3100 which is almost identical to the 2000+ 3400, if that's what you're getting. ÂÂÂ

If you get the newer 3400 (I believe 2000+) with the side mounted egr you'll need the adapter from www.jbodyperformance.com.  If you get the 97+ 3400, well, with 11K I'm assuming it's a newer one, moving on.

You'll need to use your '95 fuel rails and injectors, rear exhaust manifold, and you'll have to tap the lower-intake-manifold coolant line.  The heater core lines on the 3400 will be different then your 3100, you should be able to just use some bulk hose for it.  Read in the 3400 swap manual about the coolant temp sensors, I'm not 100% clear on the deal with those.  You may also have to remove the left mount from the new engine and put your mount on it.  Yours use 3 bolts going down that connect to the block side, some 3400 (IIRC) use 2. ÂÂÂ

I'm sure I missed some things, but those are the major ones.  Nothing particularly hard, except for tapping the coolant opening make me nervous, but someone else will be doing that on mine.

»Jason

> > > > >    1995 Z26 with 82k     > > > >      LG8 3100  ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’ƒâ€šÃ‚   
berettaspeed

Doing engine swap...

Post by berettaspeed »

i don't know how the newer berettas react to no EGR but you can block it off. this is what i did. just block it off. why put hot air back into your engine???and use your stock ecu and stock 3100 injectors will work fine.

some of the newer beretta 96 for sure you need it hooked up. i think at least. and get a 00 or newer. GM keeps imroving little things. so as new as possible if you can.

Best ET 14.313@95.37 N/A
Best MPH 14.438@95.71 N/A
89GT 5spd
3400MPFI & Boost
MAJ28

Doing engine swap...

Post by MAJ28 »

I agree.  Yeah I'm just speaking from the perspective of the gay emissions regs for PA.

Doing engine swap...

Post by Guest »

Well the 3400 I am getting is from a 2005 Chevy Venture. So hopefully everything will go smoothly. My mechanic will be doing the swap so I can only assume he can figure out any hiccups along the way. Although he has never done a swap like this before, he seems confident he can do it if most everything is just a straight forward bolt on with not too many major changes.

I go buy the engine tomorrow morning and then he gets to work on it over the next few days...I can post some pics maybe after it is complete.

MAJ28

Doing engine swap...

Post by MAJ28 »

Well, you should tell him about the injectors and the exhaust manifold, because those can be a ***** to troubleshoot and replace later on.  Just to save him the trouble of trying to figure it out.

»Jason

Doing engine swap...

Post by Guest »

So he will need to change the fuel injectors and the exhaust manifold from the 3100 to the 3400 ... got it. I will let him know.

Thanks for the tips...lets hope all goes well.

berettaspeed

Doing engine swap...

Post by berettaspeed »

just the rear exhaust  manifold needs to be changed if you want. otherwise you can use the 3400 rear one, its just that you will need a custom bent downpipe because of the different angle of the rear manifold.

the 3100 injectors will fit in the 3400 rail and such.

otherwise any little things im sure he can figure out. not mcuh of anything different. 3100 to 3400 is very easy.

Best ET 14.313@95.37 N/A
Best MPH 14.438@95.71 N/A
89GT 5spd
3400MPFI & Boost
ErichZ26

Doing engine swap...

Post by ErichZ26 »

I would be curious if that 3400 has an oil cooler.   Many minivan's and larger cars with 3400 got the oil cooler.  You might be able to take advantage of it.   Otherwise swap the oil adapter from your 3100 and plug the waterjacket.

We sell the EGR adapter for side mount EGR's such as the one of a '05 3400.

Use the coolant pipes and tubes, injectors and rail from the 3100.   Swap the throttle linkage from the 3100 to the 3400 throttle.   Save wire mount clips and brackets as well as MAP sensor bracket, and knock sensor.    You should address the temp sensor as well.

1990 Beretta GTZ 1995 Beretta Z26 1996 Beretta Z26

Doing engine swap...

Post by Guest »

I picked up my car today, with the 3400 in it. One problem we had was where to put the temp sensor. Has anyone found a good place for this that gives an acurate reading?? Right now it is tapped in to the right of the thermostat so it always reads REALLY low.

And I seem to have a strange noise when I get the RPM's over 4k...not sure what that is yet. Otherwise it went very smoothly...

I did have to get a new camshaft sensor because the one on the 3100 had become one with its surroundings and wouldnt come out in one piece.

I will post some pics next week possibly...I have to go out of town this weekend.

IsaacHayes

Doing engine swap...

Post by IsaacHayes »

As far as camshaft sensor, you should of used the one that came with the 3400. They changed the rings on the camshaft that the sensor reads, so you need the sensor for the year of the 3400 you swapped. That perhaps could (?) be your noise above 4k if it's not getting accurate fuel it could be burning lean and running rough or knocking!!

As far as the coolant sensor, it seems the easiest solution is to use the 3wire one the 3400 uses, and re-wire your exsisting wiring harness to take advantage of it. One wire is reference, one wire is for the computer engine temp, and the other wire goes to the engine temp gauge on the dash.
Check here for an explanation So you'd combine your 2 wiring harnesses (that went into 2 diff senders) into one that just plugs into the new 3 wire sensor.

Image Image 2010 project (click pic)
1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles.
16.0 @ 84.41mph when stock. Now ???
Original L82 w/LA1, LX9, & LX5 parts!!!

soon to be OBD1 tuned...

Doing engine swap...

Post by Guest »

hey.. my dad had a venture with a 3400 and it had bad gaskets in it.. the motor went out 3 times. so i figured if ur interested. replace the gaskets.. because they put cheap plastic stuff in it instead of the older stuff.

jeremey

IsaacHayes

Doing engine swap...

Post by IsaacHayes »

And they still do. Lower intake gaskets. Felpro now makes a more expensive gasket in addition to the standard plastic replacement. It's metal so the rubber o-rings don't ever move/shift due to metling/crackign plastic,.

soon to be OBD1 tuned...

Doing engine swap...

Post by Guest »

yeah because they gaskets are plastic.. so they got hot and melt them the cam over heats and BReaks

IsaacHayes

Doing engine swap...

Post by IsaacHayes »

How does the cam overheat? I would guess maybe coolant somehow splashes onto it and then caues lack of oiling?

soon to be OBD1 tuned...