Don't mess with texas - 3400 swap project

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
themixer

Re: Don't mess with texas - 3400 swap project

Post by themixer »

an update to the update

heard back from WOT-tech seems that everything is fine with the values, creating a new video tonight of it driving and stalling

michi

Post by michi »

So what 3400 swap engine mount did you get? Are there 2 versions of these mounts?

themixer

Post by themixer »

Stencil wrote:David Hill makes the brackets for 3400 swaps still. You can reach him at: davehill90@hotmail.com. I believe they are right at $150 if I recall.

Second post to my thread, got the mount from David Hill, it was of super quality and fit perfectly. Just email him with the application you need it for and he will ship it out. Being in canada the shipping was a little more but he didn't mind sending it internationally.

If I remember correctly you had a corsica ? A 3400 swap would be pretty cool in that!

michi

Post by michi »

No i never had a corsica.. always beretta :) I already got a 3400 swap mount like the one rettax3 posted but no 3400 engine yet, lol. not that easy to find just the engine here in europe... pretty much looks like i have to buy a donor car with a 3400 like from a Alero or so.
i was just wondered why there are two versions of 3400 swap engine mounts...

themixer

Post by themixer »

The options on the car you are swapping to dictate the version you need, AC on either a manual or automatic car

michi

Post by michi »

Okay, well my beretta is a 91 GT 5spd. Hope my mount will fit... got it from someone who bought the mount but havent even started with the swap and sold the beretta.

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

michi wrote:Okay, well my beretta is a 91 GT 5spd. Hope my mount will fit... got it from someone who bought the mount but havent even started with the swap and sold the beretta.
They both "fit". One will keep the engine and trans positioned correctly preventing from never ending drive axle issues, while the 'less' fitting one will chew thru axles :nom: :nom:

_________
-------------
themixer

Post by themixer »

I can verify that it will chew axles, wish it was brought to my attention years ago

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

When ordering the mount, it has "auto" and "manual" as options. Whom ever sells the mount second (used) and not clearing that info up is being scamming imo.

_________
-------------
michi

Post by michi »

Well he said it fits 88 to 91 5spd cars since his car was a 5spd too. I dont even knew where to order these... lol. I remember looking for one some years ago at jbodyperformance but looks like they sell the other style mount and not the one i have.

themixer

Post by themixer »

I looked forever for a cadd drawing of one, or even documented dimensions

All I can say is the one I got from David works fantastic

michi

Post by michi »

So this is the one from david? sorry i havent been active in the last time and have no glue who he is :D

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

_________
-------------
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

michi wrote:Image
So this is the one from david? sorry i havent been active in the last time and have no glue who he is :D
You can only tell from a measurement of the extension arm to mount from the bracket base. Can't see it thru a picture.

Time to break out the ruler!

_________
-------------
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

michi wrote:Image
i was just wondered why there are two versions of 3400 swap engine mounts...
Mine was designed for five-speed use. I did not build one for automatic placement, just FYI. I do not know who built yours, or what measurements they used, but it could simply be an issue of adding shims (washers) or grinding-down the frame-side mount to move the engine farther forward, but again, IDK for yours. On the mount I made for my car, I actually lowered the engine a little, to help with turbo clearance and as a bonus to lower the center-of-gravity a fraction of an inch, but yes, the compromise will be slightly accelerated CV joint wear -I have yet to need to replace the CV on any of my five-speed Berettas. Again, it is millimeters of difference, and has very little effect either way. If the mount is properly designed and places the engine in the right spot and is strong enough to hold everything in place without flexing, the style doesn't matter. I don't like the idea of such a complex multi-piece mount as used on 60-degree V-6, particularly if there isn't a car to test-mount it in, because it is too easy to get one or two angles off by a few degrees and mess the whole positioning up, but if the part is built right and tested in a car (like mine) or placed in a jig, then it doesn't matter. If it fits right, it fits right. :good:

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26