LS1/t56 swap

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
bonecrrusher

Re: LS1/t56 swap

Post by bonecrrusher »

Where is it hitting?

Are you running a front sump or rear sump LS oil pan?

Moving it back will be just like an F-body - under the bloody cowl!

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Z51
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Chevy SS
Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

Its hitting the steering rack. Even once I clock it to move the power steering lines the pan will still hit it. Makes zero sense lol. I must have over looked something somehow... I spent a ton of time making it fit around that rack.. Im using the fbody rear sump pan, its the shallowest up front out of them all.

Are fbodys really that way?? Ill have to google that.. I didnt realize that.

88 Beretta CL - your average grandma car.. Ls1 swap in progress
77 Celica - needs an engine swap
96 Geo - 1.0L, Cam, 3 angle, magnaflow, Koni, coilovers.
86 Subi - Supercharged @7psi
Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

Yes, thats exacy how it might have to sit! Whats the trick to pulling/installing engines like that? Terrible design haha.

jjanke

Post by jjanke »

Screenshot_20171224-172507.png
Last time I pulled mine I left it attached to the cradle and dropped all the suspension and everything down....lifted the body up.....

Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

I was planning to weld it all solid as far as the suspension to the frame goes. How its sitting now I think Ill be able to pull it out of the top. I really really hate pulling engines from the bottom. I did it once when it was fwd. Not an easy task if you dont have a lift, for me anyways lol.

Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

had to take a break from reality for a few hours. trying to finish up a few projects at once, had to make some time for the Beretta!

It Looks like this is where the engine is going to sit for sure now. Back end might need to be tilted up a bit but it will work. Ill know more when the trans has a spot in the floor. Not sure im ready to cut that out yet.. might get a little flimsy.. Ill be cutting a little more up in the cowl area to help with install/removal of the engine. I will have working wipers using the factory motor!

headers will be interesting..

just had to do it.

had to toss it together with zip ties to see where my shifter was going to land. Its VERY nice seeing my car look like a car.. even if it has no firewall.. or engine.. haha.

really thinking Ill be moving the speaker location in the dash.. I have a feeling thats right where the cage will go. Im 90% sure its getting a full cage. Gotta have a stereo!!

confirmed. The shifter location will work just fine with the engine moved back. Seat location seems perfect other than a bit low.. and im unsure about the pedals. These seats are TERRIBLE to get in and out of.. but once your in, you dont want out! they are pretty awesome.

I think the front subframe is getting moved up 1/4" and the rear posslibly lower ~half an inch. Not 100% sure yet but I think im going to just have to split the difference so the engine fits under the hood at the right angle. Getting closer!

bonecrrusher

Post by bonecrrusher »

Mmmmmm V8 power!

2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Chevy SS
Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

No huge updates. Got bored and put my GTU spoiler on. Had to cut my old one off, it wasnt some oddball factory one like I had thought, some company in the UK made it. I will be installing the GTU spoiler on a different trunk lid I think, this one just has too many holes and I have a few laying around. once the car is done ill have CFD testing on it and figure out an adjustable wickerbill..

Right now im out of gas in the welder and trying to decide if im buying a 20 ton press or steel for my frame.. I have to press the s14 hub bearing assembly out of the rear to get that all swapped over.

jjanke

Post by jjanke »

I dig that spoiler ..much better !!!!

jjanke

Post by jjanke »

Seems like u gotta be able to run that subframe to a shop and have them press the bushings out and in.....unless u really needed a press all the time ...I would get that frame steel.....nice progress man. Keep it up

Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

Thanks, Ive always been a fan of this one. I have a feeling this one wont violently flap in the wind at 140mph.. not that I would have experience with that lol.

Well I need a press for the front control arm bushings (at some point), front balljoints (at some point), rear hub assembly and rear shock mounts. That has to be done before I do the frame. Its a tough call! One or the other will happen in a few weeks once I decide

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Those GTU spoilers are pretty cool. I've wondered about a wickerbill too. The Z spoilers are also flat enough on the back to use one. I kinda figured for my car out would look poser-ish. I think you can pull it off better. Haha

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
heavywoody
Global Moderator

Post by heavywoody »

I’ve been trying to figure out what sort of a spoiler to use on my car, and a custom wickerbill looks like what I’ve been envisioning. I was thinking of something coming off the back of the trunk lid and having it angle back where the top of the trunk lid starts.

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
bonecrrusher

Post by bonecrrusher »

Wickerbills are all the rage - I'm getting one... haha.

I ended up with the 20 ton press from Harbor Freight - I had to push some bearings in an out of my rear transaxle.

Sign up for the HF coupons - and you will eventually find a good price - I think I got mine for $130 out the door.

2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Chevy SS
Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

I never thought about doing it on a z spoiler, that might look kinda cool

This is what I wanna go for. strengthen the back up a little and it should be good. But CFD will determine if I do it or leave it alone. Gotta make sure the car has balanced aero, Ive seen some crazy videos I do not wish to reproduce! only planning on doing a mild splitter, diffuser, flat floor and this spoiler.

I was planning on the harbor freight press myself! They seem to work just fine. Ill definitely keep an eye out, I like the $130 price range!

so long story short, I ended up using my friends press. It turns out the bearings/hubs were just rusted in lol. Not press in.. which makes a whole lot more sense as to why they were also bolted in. It didnt make sense to my friend too, so we looked on alldata. Its the hub that is pressed into the bearing, thats what I was reading about when I thought I found out why the bearings/hubs were not coming out lol. Oh well. Makes life easier!

I also priced out the steel for my frame today, I was expecting a few hundred bucks. $82 for 20ft of 2x4 .120 wall steel.. so now im trying to figure out what kind of weld through primer to use. Ill be picking up some steel in the next few weeks! I cant believe Im finally ready for this stage. I have a few more things to do first but nothing major.