LS1/t56 swap

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
jjanke

Re: LS1/t56 swap

Post by jjanke »

I honestly primered after all the welding was done ....I had the benefit of building outside the car on a welding table then welding it on to the body rails as a unit ......I don't like the way weld through primer welds through....if that makes any sense...

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

I'm not a fan of it either. I understand the idea behind it and why out would be a good idea to use, but I've tried two brands and they both sucked as far as trying to get a nice weld. Always lots of splatter. (Eastwood and Napa)

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

One of my frienda also had bad results with the napa brand. A friend who has been a bodyman for 30+ years suggested upol. Ive used some of there products with good luck in the past so we will see. You can also buy a 3m wax product that protects bare metal for areas you cant reach, might have to try that too

88 Beretta CL - your average grandma car.. Ls1 swap in progress
77 Celica - needs an engine swap
96 Geo - 1.0L, Cam, 3 angle, magnaflow, Koni, coilovers.
86 Subi - Supercharged @7psi
Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

aluminum 300zx

steel/iron, whatever it is lol. s14. looks like its not quite 7lbs difference like I thought. I think thats what I read anyways.

just sitting on the lower mount, no rotors. looks like I will have plenty of spacing between the tire now.

and thats the progress of the past few hours. once I get more gas for the welder ill build some quick upper mounts for the coilovers, drill the lower rubber mount to get the adapter in and mounted (holding off and getting the aluminum "bushing" pressed in for now), figure out a sleeve setup so I can use a smaller bolt in the adapter.. then recheck the rear roll center, and possibly lower the rear subframe a hair. Then double check the front roll center, build some sort of quick coilover mount, then its frame time!

Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

I spent that last 10hrs going over my front and rear roll centers. The rear subframe is getting lowered 3" and the front subframe is getting lowered 1/4" lol. Used a laser this time.. Front Roll center will be 4 1/4" and the rear will be 5 7/8". I MIGHT only lower the rear 2.5" so I can adjust the roll center a bit if needed, but im undecided. It would put the rear around 7" then.

Planning to get the subframes taken care of tomorrow, possibly shock mounts and im thinking about changing the length of shock, going shorter.

Might even play with the bump steer gauge tomorrow too..

jjanke

Post by jjanke »

In English please !!!!

Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

Here is a good explanation of it.

http://thecartech.com/subjects/auto_eng ... Center.htm

I ended deciding to lower the rear subframe 2.5", which might be perfect, or it could need to be lowered with spacers to get it dialed in by feel once the car is going. I figure its easier to add spacers than cut the frame once its built. And adjustability is always good! Front subframe is lowered, back is almost done. I should have some pictures tonight if I get done at a decent hour

Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

I didnt get it finished tonight. I have a bit of diegrinding to do.. made my mounts to lower the rear subframe and started hogging out the holes big enough for a socket to fit since I dont feel like buying 10" bolts for a temp setup..

kinda ghetto, but it works for what I need.

Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

I cant wait to cut this out lol. its where I need it tho.

ride height

very rough sketch of my frame plan

next up is an alignment to double check everything is as square as I think it is. Then POSSIBLY shock mounts lol. or right to the frame! Its basically ready,,

Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

Well I got steel for the frame a few weeks ago, getting the car prepped for it, I think I have the majority of it figured out tho! Its definitely coming together!

I think photobucket is going to kill all my photos, so im looking for a new host and not too eager to upload more. I might be able to use my site but havnt looked into it yet. I do have a few pics ill try to get posted this weekend.

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

I started using imgur. Seems decent.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

1/8" steel. Upol copper weld through primer on the left, 3m zink weld through primer on the right. friend thats a bodyman had some laying around he let me try out. Im going with the copper, Its in the mail. It doesnt weld perfect, but its a TON better than the zink.

Alignment fun.. Caster was Not where I expected! I put about 5* in, and it moved the wheel back about an inch lol. so.. front end gets a 1" shift forward, which is always good! I decided im going to make the front subframe a bolt in, with slotted holes for adjustment to move the wheels back to the center after changing the caster. I have that about 95% designed on how im going to do it.

40' of 2x4 .120 wall (1/8").

It begins

Image++

Terrible picture. Kinda sorta like that. thats a scrap piece I tossed up for the picture

disassembly of the pinch weld..

Rest in peace..

black line is the top of where the frame is going

cleaned up for the most part. Just need to order some rustmort to kill the rust, and prep the metal. Minor fitting to do still also.. and get a for sure plan for the left turn up front.

I have started on one frame rail, I have the design mostly figured out, few little details to dial in but hey nothing too crazy. just trying to REALLY plan it out to get it how I want the first time.

Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

Almost forgot, I got contacted a few months ago by this writer out of the blue. He found my thread and wanted to do a few articles.

https://www.racingjunk.com/news/2018/02 ... et-slipss/

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Interesting read -I have always liked the work you do on your Beretta. :good: The writer does need to get some of the facts straight though (the presence of a four-cylinder V-6??), and I love the picture of your car with the new brakes and LS1 sitting in it with zero explanation... :roll: But hey, if it can get even one more person interested in Berettas, it could be worth it, and it does show a bit of a time-line on your car. Interesting, since Woody had someone make a write-up on his car too... :Search:

I like the frame-rail work you are doing -aside from pure performance, I think anyone interested in doing a streetable, FUNCTIONAL Beretta convertible could take a serious lesson from your work. All good man, all good! :beer:

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
bonecrrusher

Post by bonecrrusher »

Frame work looks great so far!

Keep up the good work - its always fun cutting up cars.

I suggest using Flickr - if you have a Yahoo Mail account - then you already have a free Flickr account.

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Z51
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Chevy SS