LS1/t56 swap

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
Alxsmt

Re: LS1/t56 swap

Post by Alxsmt »

Yeah, he took some writing liberties lol. But he is the guy that is getting paid I guess.

Who did the one on woodys car? I think I remember domestic crew magazine or something years ago.

Thanks! I never thought of it for a convertible setup, that could work! It may not end well in a crash tho.. but in general It could work! Ill have to post that picture on here, I left it out due to the article.

Yes its definitely fun cutting this up, and reshaping everything to your liking!

I do have yahoo still.. Ill have to look into that also. It looks like photo bucket killed all the links.. that will be half a day to fix :-(

88 Beretta CL - your average grandma car.. Ls1 swap in progress
77 Celica - needs an engine swap
96 Geo - 1.0L, Cam, 3 angle, magnaflow, Koni, coilovers.
86 Subi - Supercharged @7psi
EPfiffner

Post by EPfiffner »

Freakin sux the photos are wiped! Im glad I caught up on your build yesterday while they were still there. Digging it, awesome work.
I enjoyed the article as well despite the errors already mentioned. The timeline is cool, and on a side note I found it interesting that you are an electrician. I'm an electronic tech.

bonecrrusher

Post by bonecrrusher »

Alex - Flickr works pretty well - the photo sharing is kind of jankey - but once you figure it out - it works just fine.

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Z51
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Chevy SS
Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

Thanks! Im just an apprentice, not sure If i can carry the electrician title just yet. Few more years! Electrical industry seems like a good line of work so far tho (Im 2 years in).

The pictures seem to be working again, but not sure how long! Ill definitely check it out when I get a chance.

Did a little more on the car, started cutting and prepping the 2x4 box tube. Moved my jack stands out of the way for the frame and releveled the car. I think I can have the frame done in 3 full days of work. Just finding those 3 days is the problem! Not too much longer I hope.

Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

Bored waiting from class to start so I thought I'd update real quick. I'll post pictures at some point, but it's all changing. I got one frame rail done and ready to go inside the passenger compartment. The other side is ready, but the car isn't cut to accept it yet. Going through the firewall, I found a better path that I originally was going to take.

I am now waiting to hear back from Art Morrison about mandrel bending me some frame rails. I have to start over regardless, and this would cut down on time, and also make a way better frame with a lot less welding. Welding without a proper jig is complicated if you don't want the metal to move around on ya, and welds are the weak point.

But anyways, I'll get some pictures up of what I did, and of how it's changing.

bonecrrusher

Post by bonecrrusher »

If B is for Build can weld up a frame for an M5 drivetrain into a 70s 240Z - certainly you can too!

2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Chevy SS
Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

Well yeah, But now that I have measurements of exactly where the frame is going, and im starting over.. why not have some pieces bent for a much better end result? Its looking like It will be bent in 3 sections, then Ill weld those together and make it all work. But.. I am undecided on one bend.. I really wanna just do a right angle.. up by the front wheel well.. the front and rear sections are a for sure thing tho. Have a little thinking to do.

Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

Decided to only get the front and rear sections bent up. Worked on it all weekend and have the passenger side frame rail tacked in (center section). Ran out of steel or the other side would be in also!

Im having issues getting my bends made up tho. Send in my final drawing, tell them im ready, the guy vanishes.. send an email to 2 other companys with my drawing, one responds.. get some quotes, I ask for a shipping quote and a have a question about the tolerances... no reply.. gone.. still working on it tho.. It will happen.

Still slacking on the picture thing.. I have a ton I need to upload.

Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

Got enough steel yesterday to finish up. Started cutting it last night. Also Have my rear rails ordered up, and getting mandrel bent! Finally! Those are about 3 weeks out. Hoping to make some good progress tonight!

Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

the first frame design - That was abandon.

Yes, I did have a makeshift jig when I welded it together.

a gusset was also added, just no picture.

Fish plate over the bend area for strength

Note the bend

under the car, pinch weld. frame is the same height as the floor.

under the car, by the back seat.

my sketches of changing my design. I just wasnt happy with my first one, had too much bs going on and it over complicated things. new design is simply straight. no bend by the front of the door. I cut a lot more out.. but the end result will be worth it.

Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

frame - Round 2!

All the copper is weld through primer.

had to take my jackstands out to make room for the frame. Resupported (ghetto) everything, including the floor getting it ready to take literally all the structure out of this thing..

Kinda hard to see with everything going on in this picture. wheel well is cut out, and even more of the rocker to allow a straight frame rail.

rear section (back seat area)

fish plate added

full rail (middle section)

covered in weld through primer. Anything left visible when its all installed will be removed and reprimed with epoxy or self etching.

rocker panel treated for rust with rustmort, and sprayed with weld through primer.

mocked up, ready for tacking.

Tacked in!!

This is the front and rear frame sections, the rear is currently being mandrel bent (3 weeks out). the left side rail is done, just need to cut the car and put it in! might be doing that this weekend.

I have changed my design once again.. slightly. The rails will be at a 4* angle if installed as they sit (top tilting out). I was going to just adjust my cuts to make the cross bars level and carry on. That way everything is butted together as tight as I can get it. after thinking about it, I decided im going to pull the passenger side rail back out, add some angle iron on the rocker panel which well be welded on 2 areas to the sheet metal, making a stronger connection, then welding the angle iron to the frame rail, which will space the top out making it perfectly plumb and still having it all tight together. Gives me a better weld from the frame to the body.. angle iron is also .120.. on tio of making my cuts easier for the cross bars, the bottom of the rails will now be level for my flat floor to sit on.

bonecrrusher

Post by bonecrrusher »

Are you going to be cutting the entire floor pan out?

Are you going to connect those permiter frame rails to the front engine "subframe"?

2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Chevy SS
Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

Basically the whole floor will be out, but im keeping it in place and welding it to the frame. I thought about just making a new one..

And yes, it will all be connected with 2x4 front to rear. Seemed easier since I dont have a proper jig and its getting welded to to body anyways. Then a cage on top of that and who knows what other supports will be added. Im sure Ill have more of some sort.

I got the rail back in with the new design, tacked in. On to the other side. Ill get pics of it up this week at some point

EPfiffner

Post by EPfiffner »

Nice welds! Lots of work accomplished. I see a set of Martin body hammers on top of your toolbox, lol I have the same set.

Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

Thanks! Im about ready to put the other rail in, slowly working on that side. The clean up and prep for for the rail just sucks doing with all the spot welds in impossible areas.

Thas awesome lol. Ive only used those things once or twice